The Brandeis softball team continues its dominant year as they win four more games, improving to 8–0 overall for the first time in program history.

Judges 8, Lions 1

The Judges improved to 5 – 0 as they defeated Eastern Nazarene College by a score of 8–1. In the first game of the doubleheader on Marcus Field, offense took over as the Judges scored eight runs. ENC scored first in the top half of the first by singling home a run, but were unable to do any more. The Judges responded as a single and an error put them ahead 2–1, but it would not end there. They tacked on two more runs in the third inning through a run batted in double by Keri Lehtonen ’19 and a single by Prue Ross ’20. In the fifth inning, the Judges belted their first homers of the day as Scottie Todd ’20 hit the third homer of her career while Melissa Rothenberg ’21 hit her first. Todd added another RBI in the sixth with a single. 

Todd earned the win in game one going seven strong innings, allowing five hits and one run and striking out eight. She also only walked one. She improved to 3–0 on the year.

Judges 9, Lions 1

In game two of the doubleheader, it was a similar story as ENC scored first in the contest on a sacrifice fly, but kept silent the remainder of the game. The Judges kept quiet until the fourth inning when Ross doubled home Marissa Del Laurentis ‘19 to tie the game at one. Rookie pitcher Sydney Goldman ’22 singled home Ross to take the lead and help her cause on the mound. A sacrifice fly in the fifth inning made it 3–1 and Goldman then hit her first career homer to make it 5–1. The Judges scored four more runs in the sixth as Jolie Fujita ’21 hit her first career homer and a game ending double by Rothenberg.

On the mound, Goldman earned her third win of the season in six strong innings of work. She fanned one and allowed just four hits. 

Judges 9, Sharks 6

The weather could not hold back the Judges as Brandeis moved its game to Simmons College, but still came out on top in dramatic fashion. 

In game one of the double header against Simmons College, the Judges won in walk off fashion after a long nine innings. The Judges fell behind 9–7 in the ninth inning on a homer in the top half of the ninth, but the Judges got those runs back quick. Fujita kicked off the inning with a triple that brought the Judges within two. Todd  singled between first and second to plate Fujita. Marley Felder ’22 then belted a homer to notch the victory, the first of her career. 

Besides Felder’s monster shot, the offense was led by shortstop Fujita who went 3–5, with four runs batted in and a homer shy of the cycle. Todd  earned her fourth win of the year by pitching six innings in relief. She allowed seven hits and three earned runs, two strikeouts and no walks. 

Judges 11, Sharks 9

Game two of the doubleheader was another strong come from behind win, but in less dramatic fashion. The Judges took the lead early with a single by Todd that played the first run of the game. 

Following a few errors from the Judges, the Sharks were able to answer back and take a two run lead in the third inning. The Judges responded by getting three runs on their own in the bottom half of the third. Felder doubled home a pair of runs. A sacrifice fly by Ross put the Judges ahead 4-3, and a single by rookie hurler Goldman made it 5–3. 

After Todd and Fujita hit a pair of doubles, the game opened up 7–3.  The Sharks tried rallying back in the fourth when they scored on a hit after a pair of walks to make it 7–4. However, Briana Ureña ’20 drove in another run to make it 9–4.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Sharks had a rally going after four walks by Goldman, but the hurler was able to work out of it and strand the runners and leave the game 9–6. 

The offense was led by Fujita, Todd and Felder who went 8–11 and drove in four runs. Goldman notched her fourth win and allowed eight hits and three earned runs in seven innings of work. 

The Brandeis softball team improved to 8–0 this year, a record it has never seen before, according to Brandeis Athletics. The team will try to continue its hot streak on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at home against Suffolk University.