The University track and field teams traveled to two neighboring schools this past weekend to compete in two different meets. On Friday and Saturday, the team traveled to Boston University to participate in the Valentines Invitational, and on Saturday, they went to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to compete in the Gordon Kelley Invitational. 

Valentines Invitational Women

Emily Bryson ’19 was, yet again, one of the team’s top performers. At BU on Friday, she had her season’s best mile time, finishing the event in 4:48.36 and beating her Division III season-best time by over a second. She finished third among her heat, 13th among all collegiate runners and 22nd overall. 

Gordon Kelley Invitational Women

On Saturday, the women had one event at BU: the distance relay medley. This was the first time that the Judges had run this event in a competitive setting all season. The top five finishers in this event posted the five fastest times for Division III schools this season. Julia Bryson ’19 started off the race with the 1200-meter leg. Devin Hiltunen ’22 ran the 400-meter leg, while Doyin Ogundrian ’19 ran the 800-meter leg. Emily Bryson anchored the race as usual, and overall, the squad finished with a time of 11:50.34, the third fastest time recorded by a Division III school this season.  

The women’s team had several runners post personal bests at BU on Friday and Saturday. Maya Bliss ’19 ran the 800-meter in 2:20.2. Leinni Valdez ’21 finished close behind at 2:20.7. The team also had three runners post personal best times in the 200-meter. Hiltunen ran the event in 26.25. She was followed closely behind by classmates Anna Touitou ’22 and Sonali Anderson ‘22 finished the event in 26.87 seconds and 27.11 seconds respectively. Finally, Erin Magill ’22 ran the 3000-meter in 10:53.

Valentines Invitational Men

The men’s team also had many runners place in events and record personal bests in the two meets at BU and at MIT. At BU, Lorenzo Maddox ’20 ran the 60-meter dash in 7.2 seconds. Regan Charie ’19 finished the 200-meter in 22.49 seconds, good for a personal best. The men had two more personal bests at BU, both in the mile run. Josh Lombardo ’21 ran the mile in 4:27.88. He was followed closely behind by Matthew Driben ’22, who came in with a time of 4:29.30. 

Gordon Kelley Invitational Men

At MIT, Daniel Curley ’20 ran the 3000-meter in 9:11.52. His time earned first place at the event, but fell just short of setting a new personal best. Breylen Ammen ’21 tied his personal record in pole vault. His jump of 4.55 meters was also good for second place at the event. Dion Morris-Evans ’22 ran the 60-meter hurdles in 8.62 seconds which was good for second place. Morris Evans had a personal record in the high jump of 1.85 meters. Jeremiah Fantroy ’22 achieved a personal record in the 35-pound weight throw by making it 10.85 meters. Jack Allan ’20 ran the 60-meter hurdles in 8.87 seconds good for third place, but not a personal record. 

Next Saturday, the team will travel to Harvard University to participate in the USA Track and Field Indoor Championships, followed by the UAA Championship meet on Feb. 23 and 24 hosted at home in the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center. 

The team is led by head coach Sinead Delahunty and assistant coaches Steve Flanagan and Jason Sliwoski. Delahunty has remained head coach for the Brandeis men’s team since Dec. 2013. Under her coaching, 11 runners qualified for seven different divisions in NCAA Championships. Assistant coach Flanagan has coached the Judges since August 2015. Finally, Assistant coach Sliwoski is in his third year with the Judges.