So far this season, the men's basketball team has faced many fierce competators and looks forward to many more. Some previous matchups against the Judges include the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, which resulted in a win for the Judges, Suffolk College, a loss for the Judges and four victories against Bates College, Lasell College, Salem State University, Babson College and Becker College. This Saturday, the Judges ended their streak after a loss to Wesleyan University. The Judges look forward to 14 more games between now and the end of February. 

Becker College

The Judges’ record has improved to an impressive 5–1 out of all non-conference games this season as of  Thursday night, when they traveled to meet the Becker College Hawks. According to the Brandeis Athletics website, the Judges dominated the Hawks from start to finish, never trailing behind the Hawks, and built a 20-point lead early in the second half to finish with an overwhelming 74–52 victory.

The Judges came focused. Collin Sawyer ’20 began things with a three-pointer. His efforts with two more three-pointers, plus two straight baskets by Eric D’Aguanno, contributed to an early 19–8 lead, and the Judges never looked back. Latye Workman ’18 jumped early in the second half of the game, leading the Judges to a 20-point lead on the way to a final score of 74–52.  

Scoring leaders were Sawyer (18 points), Chandler Jones ’21 (15 points) and D’Aguanno (14 points). Workman added nine points, with Lawrence Sabir ’21 and Corey Sherman ’19 adding eight points each. Workman and Jones led in assists, with five each, and Sherman had four assists. Workman dominated the boards with three offensive and six defensive rebounds. The game was a great win as every member of the team saw action and contributed with points, assists or rebounds.

Wesleyan University

The Judges had a tough loss against the Cardinals at home. The Cardinals led the entire first half on the way to a 38–34 halftime lead. The Judges demonstrated grit and determination, scoring eight straight points in the first half after the Cardinals had built a 23–11 lead. The Judges fought back and took the lead 49–47 at 10:35 as Jones hit a three-pointer.  A see-saw battle ensued as Wesleyan’s Jordon James tied the game at 49–49, followed by a score from Workman, giving the Judges a 51–49 lead as the game was becoming a nail-biter.  Wesleyan’s Antoine Walker finally hit a three-pointer, giving the Cardinals a lead at 8:47 that they would not relinquish, despite a valiant four-point possession in which Workman hit one of two from the foul-line, then sunk three after the Jones snagged the rebound on the missed second foul shot.  

Scoring leaders were Jones (18 points), Sawyer (15 points) and Workman (12 points). Jones and Workman led with six rebounds. Jones and Sabir led with five assists with Sherman adding four.  

The Judges will travel to Emerson college on Tuesday, Dec. 11. After break, they will host Bowdoin College on Dec. 30. In the new year, the Judges will begin facing their University Athletic Association opponents, per the Brandeis Athletics website. 

This season the team has a total of  eight games totaling 556 points  averaging 69.5 points per game. In addition, the Judges have made 8.4 three-point shots per game, compared to an average of 22.9 attempts per game. As well, the team has a total of 34.1 rebounds per game with a margin of negative two. They have averaged 5.1 steals per game and 2.8 blocks per game. The home attendance this season has reached 1300 fans with an average of 325 per game on average. 

The team is coached by the 11th Brandeis men's basketball head coach Jean Bain. Bain coached Colombia University two seasons prior to coaching Brandeis University. In addition, Bain graduated from Northeastern University in 2002 after being captain of the basketball team for his junior and senior years. 

In addition to Bain, the Judges benifit from three assistant coaches: Sean Tabb, Patrick Luptowski and L.J. Harrington. Tabb is in his fifth season as a Brandeis coach, after graduating from the University of Hartford. Luptowski is in his third year as a Brandeis coach, after graduating from Saint Anslem College in 2011. Harrington is in his first year as a Brandeis coach, after graduating from Northeastern University in 1990. All the coaches have past experience in basketball and hope to help the team succeed.