The Brandeis men’s soccer team played another two games this week, one resulting in a Brandeis win and one ending in a draw. The team also began its University Athletic Association conference play with the Homecoming game against Case Western Reserve University. From here on out, the schedule will feature a mix of local DIII games as well as contests against UAA opponents. 

Case Western 0, Judges 0

On Saturday, the Judges welcomed Case Western to Gordon Field for the team’s Homecoming game. It was a hard fought game, but even after two overtime periods, neither team was able to score. Case Western came into the game near the top of the UAA standings, so the Judges were eager to prove themselves as a worthy opponent. Case Western controlled the game early on and outshot the Judges 8–2 in the first half. However, the Judges responded in the second half gaining an 11–5 advantage to make the game’s shot total 13–13 at the end of regulation. In the first overtime period, shots were even at three apiece with each keeper making a save. The second overtime was a different story with the Judges’ dominating shot total of 4–0, but the Spartan goalie with a stout defense was able to force the draw. Bryant Nardizzi ’20 led the team with seven shots, including two on goal. Greg Irwin ’20 recorded seven saves, just one shy of his season and career best. It was Irwin’s fourth shutout of the season. 

Wheaton 0, Judges 1

Last Tuesday, The Judges were able to defend their home turf when they defeated Wheaton College by a score of 1–0. The first half was relatively quiet. Wheaton had the slight edge in shots at 7–6, but each team had two shots on goal. The second half began with a Wheaton shot hitting the post and spinning out of the goal. Noah Gans ’21 had games the next three shots, but none found the back of the net. It was eventually Nardizzi who broke the scoreless tie in the 53rd minute, the game’s only goal. Each keeper had 4 saves, and perhaps the other notable highlight of the game came when Irwin punched a ball out of harm’s way diving to his left. It was his third shutout of the season. 

The Judges visit Massachusetts Institute of Technology today at 7 p.m. and then will travel to Pittsburg to take on Carnegie Mellon University on Saturday at 11 a.m.