The Senate convened for its weekly meeting on Sunday, discussing club intersectionality and funding.

Yael Jaffe ’18 presented the Jewish Feminist Association of Brandeis to the Senate for recognition. Jaffe stated that the club “provides unique opportunities for students to experience the intersection of Judaism and feminism.” Past club events included a poetry night and a speech by Women of the Wall Director Leslie Sacks. Jaffe added that JFAB wishes to become a club to collaborate with student groups outside the Hillel umbrella and to “integrate it into the University system to become a part of student life.”

International Senator Linfei Yang ’20 asked if the group would be open to non-Jewish feminists and collaborating with non-Jewish feminist student groups. Jaffe replied that the group has a grant to conduct “interfaith work … with the Muslim Students Association” and is interested in talking about feminism in other religions as well. 

Student Union Vice President Hannah Brown ’19 stated that the Hillel umbrella operating system is similar to the Undergraduate Theater Collective in the way that the overarching organization secures funding for all of its sub-organizations. Brown stated that Hillel is attempting to secure funding from the Allocations Board to fund its organizations, rather than using all of its own funds that it gets from its national organization and donations. She added that in the future, the Senate should consider not formally recognizing groups that fall under umbrella organizations.

Class of 2018 Senator Abhishek Kulkarni asked when an intersectional club constitutes duality of purpose if it combines the concepts of two or more existing clubs discussing the subjects separately. Racial Minority Senator Hangil Ryu ’20 stated that a club generally discussing feminism may not discuss Jewish feminism and that a club discussing Jewish feminism would have a different purpose than one discussing Muslim feminism.

The Senate did not recognize JFAB as a club.

Executive Senator Aaron Finkel ’20 stated that he and some of his constituents thought there were too many clubs and that they were dividing up the University’s social life. Senator-at-Large Shaquan McDowell ’18 replied that it is not the business of the Senate to decide the intersectionalities of students’ identities, and that intervening in the University’s social life would be overstepping the Senate’s bounds.

Class of 2020 Senator Tal Richtman asked those who voted for the recognition of the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers and not for the recognition of JFAB why they would vote for one intersectional club and not another. Class of 2021 Senator Noah Nguyen replied that Senators’ opinions about the issues sometimes change.

Brown reminded the Senate that the spring semester election will be on Thursday and announced that there will be voting stations in the Shapiro Campus Center and Usdan Student Center.

Sustainability Committee Chair Benedikt Reynolds ’19 reported that the committee’s Green Ambassadors program has been extremely successful, with multiple Community Advisors and the Department of Community Living commending the program’s efforts and its effects on improving sustainability. The Sustainability Committee started the program this semester, with Green Ambassadors helping with move-in and, during orientation, teaching students how to live more sustainably.

—Emily Blumenthal