The women’s volleyball team capped off a great weekend at the Hall of Fame Invitational with its second win of the tournament over Connecticut’s Trinity College, improving to 12-11 — good for the most wins in a season for the team since they won 21 in 2012.

Judges 3, Trinity 0

After being swept by Hamilton College, the Judges looked to finish the weekend on a high note against the 6-12 Trinity College Bantams. It was an all-around team effort, as four players had five or more kills in the match. However, it was All-Tournament right side hitter Marissa Borgert ’21 who led the team with eight.

Outside hitter Clare Meyers ’21 and middle hitter Emma Bartlett ’20 each added six or more kills, while outside hitter Shea Decker-Jacoby ’19 had five. Setter Marlee Nork ’19 added 19 assists, while Borgert capped off her impressive weekend with 12. This was a solid all-around performance for the team and they will look to carry this momentum with them moving forward.

Judges 0, Hamilton 3

On Saturday, in the first match of a double-header, the Judges dropped three straight sets to Hamilton College in a tough match. 

Nork was kept busy against Hamilton, contributing a team-high 19 assists. Borgert led the team in kills once again, tallying 10 total. The first-year phenom is having a tremendous season in her first collegiate campaign for the Judges. The right side hitter is leading the team in kills for the season with 168, and she is even third on the team in digs with 128 for the year. Her impact on the squad has been incredibly clear as Brandeis is having its best season in years. 

Leading the team in digs for the second straight match was libero Yvette Cho ’19, who added 10. Cho is having yet another incredible season for the Judges, as she now has 389 digs for the year — 209 more than her next teammate. Cho has proven each and every match why she is one of two captains for this club. Additionally, since she is just a junior, the Judges will not be losing their fearless leader at the end of the season.

As a team, the Judges only hit .053 in the match, but their play would improve later that afternoon as they cruised past Trinity.

Judges 3, Worcester State 1

The Judges finished 2-1 on the weekend, including a record-setting win over Worcester State University on Friday, who entered the game at 18-7. Five players set career-highs in kills, assists and digs in the match, carrying the Judges to a 3-1 win over the Lancers.

Decker-Jacoby led the team with 18 kills and 29 digs, while Nork also added a double-double with 36 assists and 17 digs. Borgert continued her impressive play up front with 15 kills.

It was a big win for the Judges, who broke above .500 while also taking down the first place team in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference.

After four straight seasons with 10 wins or less, the team has already shown promise and made drastic improvements. With only three regular season games remaining, all out of conference, the Judges will try to stay above .500 for the first time since 2012 and the third time since 2009. With a young core and some great wins, this team has certainly shown it has a very bright future.