The men’s and women’s tennis teams competed admirably against tough competition this past weekend. The men went 1-2 on the weekend with losses against Bowdoin College and Bates College and a victory over Wheaton College. The women’s side also picked up a victory against Wheaton on Sunday.

Judges 8, Wheaton 0

The women’s team completely shut out Wheaton on Sunday afternoon. At the Number 1 doubles court, Sabrina Ross Neergaard ’20 and Olivia Leavitt ’19 made quick work of their opponents, winning 8-3. On the Number 2 and Number 3 courts, the duos of Haley Cohen ’18 and Sophia He ’19, and Keren Khromchenko ’19 and Michele Lehat ’19, picked up 8-1 victories over Wheaton. 

The squad continued to dominate on the singles courts, as Neergaard got the team started with a three-set victory on the Number 1 court, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2). Khromchenko defeated her opponent on the Number 2 court, 6-2, 6-0 and Leavitt double bageled her opposition 6-0, 6-0 on the Number 3 court. On the Number 4 court Lehat also recorded a 6-0, 6-0 victory.

Judges 9, Wheaton 0

The men dispatched Wheaton quite easily on Sunday afternoon. Michael Arguello ’17 and Ryan Bunis ’17 teamed up for the 8-2 victory on the Number 1 doubles court. Bunis also won his singles matchup easily, as he defeated his opponent 6-2, 7-5 on the Number 1 singles court. On the Number 3 court, Mitchell Ostrovsky ’20 captured a 6-0, 6-2 victory. Benjamin Wolfe ’20 also won his matchup by a score of 6-0, 6-1.

Judges 2, Bates 7  

On Saturday, the men were only able to pick up one doubles victory against Bates, when David Aizenberg ’20 and Tyler Ng ’19 earned a win on the Number 2 court. Bunis fell 6-0, 6-3 on the Number 1 singles courts. On the Number 2 singles court, Brian Granoff ’17 lost in a tough battle 6-2, 2-6, 6-4.

Arguello came away with the only Judges victory on the singles courts, winning on the Number 3 court, 7-5, 1-6, 7-5. The team lost the remaining singles matches to fall 7-2 to Bates.

Judges 3, Bowdoin 6

The doubles matches with Bowdoin on Friday night featured some intense drama. Both the Number 1 and Number 3 courts were decided by tiebreakers. Arguello and Bunis held off the competition from Bowdoin for a 9-8 (8-6) victory on the Number 1 court. On the Number 3 court, the home team was able to barely put away the Judges with a 9-8 (8-6) win against Granoff and Jackson Kogan ’19.  

Bowdoin was able to sweep the top three singles matchups as it cruised to a victory over the Number-32 ranked Judges. Arguello and Bunis were unable to continue their success from the doubles match and lost at the Number 1 and Number 2 courts, respectively.

However, the squad was able to capture two difficult wins on the Number 4 and Number 6 courts. On Number 4, Ng came away with a 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 10-3 victory against Bowdoin sophomore Jerry Jiang. Aizenberg also found himself in a grueling three-set match at the Number 6 court, this time with Bowdoin sophomore Luke Carstens, from which he was able to escape with the 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 victory. With the win, Bowdoin continues its quest to defend its national title by moving its record to an outstanding 9-1 mark.