Correction appended.

The second wave of data from the 2015 Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct was released last Friday, which disclosed data about how race, ethnicity and international status intersect and interact with sexual misconduct on campus. The information came in an email to the community from Interim President Lisa Lynch and was co-signed by the entire Task Force for Sexual Assault Response, Services and Prevention, which includes administrators, faculty and students.

The report displays data from the 2015 survey, which asked students about their experiences with sexual harassment and assault, as well as their knowledge of and faith in University processes to address the issue. Friday’s report shows how students of different races and ethnicities responded differently to the survey’s questions, allowing readers to see how sexual misconduct varies between ethnic groups.

Lynch called the results “deeply troubling” in her email but said “we will not shrink from the self-examination and action they demand. We must use this information to improve.”

The majority of undergraduate respondents to the survey — which had a 34.5 percent response rate among the student body at large — were white: 763 white students responded, constituting 42 percent of white students who received the survey. The lowest response rate came from international students, of whom 66 students (11 percent of international students who were asked) responded. The group with the lowest number of respondents, though, was “Other Minority” students, defined as any student who identified as Native American, Native Hawaiian, Alaska Native or Pacific Islander or was biracial with at least one race being an underrepresented minority, such as a partially Native American or Native Hawaiian student. This group had only 40 respondents, constituting 40 percent of those asked. Among Latinos, 70 responded (28 percent), and 180 Asian-American students responded (34 percent), as well as 44 Black students (24 percent) and 317 students whose race was unknown (123 percent — only 257 students were registered as “race unknown” in the University’s system when the survey was distributed). Those students’ data was not factored into this recent report.

Black students reported hearing the most racist comments in social settings, with 84.1 percent of respondents saying that they had. By comparison, only 53 percent of international students said they had heard racist remarks, constituting the lower boundary. Black students were also the most likely to report hearing, in social settings, sexist comments against women (79.5 percent), the term “that’s so gay” used in a derogatory context (65.9 percent), inappropriate comments about transgender or gender-queer students (56.8 percent), crude sexual comments (43.2 percent), and inappropriate comments about individual’s bodies (79.5 percent). “Other Minority” students were the least likely to hear sexist comments against women (53.8 percent) and “that’s so gay” used negatively (50 percent); International students were least likely to hear offensive comments about transgender or gender-queer people (25.8 percent), inappropriate comments about people’s bodies (57.6 percent) and crude sexual comments (28.8 percent).

Respondents were also asked to answer questions about their views on appropriate sexual behavior by responding on a 5-point Likert scale, where responding “5” means that one deeply agrees with the statement while responding “1” means that one deeply disagrees. Data in these questions was mostly similar across ethnic groups, with a few variances.

Most students deeply disagreed with the statement “It is not necessary to ask for consent to sexual activity if you are in a relationship with your partner,” with a range of 1.88 from international students to 1.46 from “Other Minority” students. Across ethnic groups, students also agreed that consent is necessary before any sexual activity, with Latino students being slightly the most likely to agree (4.63) and “Other Minority” students being slightly the least likely to agree (4.31). International students, while widely disagreeing with the sentiment, were most likely to believe that sexual assault usually comes from the survivor not being clear in how they said “no:” they responded to the statement with an average of 2.06, while Black and “Other Minority” students labeled dissent to it at 1.58. International students had the least confidence in their ability to judge whether someone is too intoxicated to give consent, with an average of 3.46, while “Other Minority” students had the most confidence in their ability at a 4.15 average.

The report also includes data about undergraduates’ personal experiences with sexual misconduct. Students in the “Other Minority” category were most likely to report experience with stalkers or repeated emails and text messages, with 23.1 percent of respondents reporting they had experienced this. Latino students reported the most unwanted sexual harassment due to gender identity or sexual orientation (18.5 percent) while Black students reported the most sexual harassment due to their race (50 percent).

No “Other Minority” students responded to questions about unwanted sexual experiences. The only form of sexual assault that respondents from all other ethnic groups had experienced was unwanted attempted penetration: someone trying, but not necessarily succeeding, in inserting their finger, penis or an object into the respondent’s vagina or anus when the respondent did not want them to. Black student respondents had had the most experiences of unwanted attempted penetration with 18.4 percent of respondents reporting they’d experienced it, while 9.1 percent of international students had experienced this form of assault, making the data's lower boundary.

Among respondents who had experienced sexual misconduct, a majority in all ethnic groups told somebody — white students were most likely to tell someone with 74.1 percent doing so, while international students were least likely, with 57.1 percent doing so. However, only white students were willing to formally report their experiences to the University. Even then, only 10 students — 3.9 percent of the total who had experienced assault — formally reported.

This is in line with data on students’ perceptions of the University which, though middling across all ethnic groups, were most positive among white students and most negative among Black and “Other Minority” students in almost every category. On a Likert scale, white students responded with an average assent of 3.83 that the campus helps fulfill their needs, with an average of 3.75 responding that they feel connected to the campus community, and with an average of 4.09 that they have good bonds with others in the community. Black students responded with averages of 3.30, 3.09 and 3.73 to the same questions, respectively. International students were most likely to believe University officials would handle crises in a fair and responsible manner, while “Other Minority” students had the least faith in University officials, responding with averages of 3.03 and 2.42, respectively.

Lynch announced several new actions that University bodies were taking in response to the data found in the survey. Title IX trainings will now include information about “populations more vulnerable to instances of sexual misconduct,” according to the email. Title IX Coordinator Linda Shinomoto could not be reached by press time for comment.

Additionally, the Office of Prevention Services is coordinating conversations with students of color about race’s intersection with sexual assault and coordinating with the Office of Study Abroad on improving pre-trip training about sexual assault and discrimination. Sheila McMahon, the sexual assault services and prevention specialist, could not be reached by press time.

The Offices of the Provost and of Planning and Institutional Research are also developing a climate survey on race, according to the email. Community members will be able to discuss the findings today at a gathering in Sherman Function Hall.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that white students were the only ones to report instances of sexual assault. The survey results only reported data from respondent groups with a cell size greater than five. Students from other racial and ethnic groups reported instances of assault, but not in numbers greater than five, so the data was not disclosed in the survey results.