The Judges continued their strong start to the fencing season at their first Northeast Fencing Conference meet of the season in Providence, RI as the men posted a 5-0 record and the women went 6-0. 

The women defeated several teams that they had lost to last year, sweeping all three weapons from Sacred Heart University for a final score of 18-9. The Judges edged out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology by a score of 15-12 and powered past Wellesley College on the strength of a 9-0 mark by the Sabres. 

There were three club teams there as well, and Brandeis demolished them by marks of 25-2 (University of Massachusetts Amherst), 24-3 (Boston University) and 27-0 (New Hampshire College). Saberists Ashley Jean ’17 and Nina Sayles ’17 posted 14-2 records to pace the women’s team, alongside epeeist Gwen Mowell ’16 who posted a 10-2 mark of her own. The men had a few close calls but escaped with two narrow varsity victories over Sacred Heart and MIT. Sacred eart featured a one-bout swing in all three weapons, yielding a 14-13 victory for the Judges, while the foil squad posted a 9-0 record to counteract 4-5 epee and 2-7 sabre defeats against MIT. They fared much better against club sides, matching the women’s results while coasting to 25-2 (UMass), 24-3 (BU) and 27-0 (New Hampshire) victories.  The foils had particularly strong days on the men’s side as Elishua Litle ’18 went 10-1, Toby Gray ’16 went 8-0 off the bench, and Kyle Berney ’18 collected 11 wins of his own.  The men’s foil squad went 5-0 in the meet.

Brandeis is back in action on Dec. 9 at home, when they host Yale University, St. John’s University, Johns Hopkins University and Cornell University at the Brandeis Invitational.