The University has hired a new part-time Interim Muslim Chaplain — Maryam Sharrieff — to take over the post previously held by Talal Eid, who left after last semester, Dean of Students Jamele Adams wrote in an email to the Justice.

“It was clear in [Sharrieff’s] interviews with staff and students that she has a passion for working with students, is familiar with Brandeis's rich history and social justice mission, and is eager to continue to contribute to our Brandeis community,” Adams wrote of why she was chosen to fill the position.

Adams added that Sharrieff speaks four languages — Hebrew, Italian, Arabic and English — and received her Master’s degree of Theological Studies from Harvard Divinity School. While there, she focused on Islamic and Gender Studies and its Linguistic Implications in the Qur'an and the Torah, the History of Islam in America, the Historical Legacy of Female Scholarship in Islam and Judaism and Faith On & In Film.

“Maryam will bring a wonderful level of excitement and student engagement to the part-time Brandeis Muslim Chaplain position. Her partnership with the other great members of our Chaplaincy is already impressive,” Adams wrote.

According to Adams, Eid departed at the end of last semester after accepting a position as an Imam — a Muslim worship leader — in Ohio.

—Hannah Wulkan