On Monday evening, the University community gathered together for the 10th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial following a day of interfaith service to remember and honor King’s legacy. This board commends the University for hosting the event for the 10th year in a row, marking a decade of dedication to the principles for which King fought.

The University has shown a committed diligence to honoring King’s work in the last 10 years, even at times when doing so has been difficult. As race relations remain at the forefront of both the national discussion—with ongoing developments in places like Ferguson, Mo.—and the discussion at the University following the tweets of Khadijah Lynch ’15, the University’s commitment to honoring both King himself and the Civil Rights Movement is commendable. The University has shown a focus, even in the face of adversity, on promoting civil discourse and developing a healing environment year-round with groups like the MLK & Friends club.

“People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each other; they don’t know each other because they have not communicated with each other,” King once said.

The Memorial and the Day of Interfaith Service allowed students and faculty alike to reflect on what King stood for and bring his message home with them. The University kept King at the center of the day’s messages through a day of service and a well-attended memorial program, allowing the community to pause their daily routines and recall King, and continues to work toward promoting an atmosphere where King’s ideas are held in high esteem.

This board applauds the University for its efforts in remembering King’s message and encourages the Brandeis community to continue the discussions started at the Memorial and Day of Interfaith Service and work toward making King’s ideas a reality moving forward.