An exciting intramural softball season came to an end earlier this month with two one-sided championship games in the men’s and women’s playoffs. 

On April 30, top-seeded BWB defeated second seeded Got Gloves? by a score of 16-7 to win the women’s division championship.

It was the third-straight intramural championship for BWB. 

The second-seeded Got Gloves? defeated the third-seeded Flyballers in a 12-0 rout just one day prior to reach the championship, and began the game with the same offensive power.

Got Gloves? jumped out to an early lead with two runs in the top of the first inning and were still ahead 6-3 after batting in their half of the fourth inning. 

Coming into the championship game, the BWB pitching staff had let up just six runs the entire year.

BWB, who earned a bye to the championship by virtue of their top seed, scored four runs in the bottom half of the fourth inning, however, and never looked back.  

Senior captain Nicolina Vitale ’14, Kasey Dean ’14, Leah Sax ’14 and Maria Jackson ’17 all homered for the champions.  

Michaela Friedman ’17 scored two runs for Got Gloves?

The men’s division also saw a three-peat champion as “Grout Bullies” avenged their only regular season loss by defeating top-ranked Team Coven 13-3 on May 1. 

The Grout Bullies finished the year in third place following a 17-10 loss to Team Coven on the final day of the regular season. 

The team earned a first round bye with their seeding, and came out swinging in the two games leading up to the championship.

In the quarterfinals, the Grout Bullies rolled over the number sixth seed Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen 15-2. The team carried its offense into the semifinals, where it defeated the seventh-seeded Hit The Jumbotron 20-3 to earn a spot in the championship. 

The Grout Bullies finished the regular season with a league-leading +53 run differential.

The Bullies used a balanced attack to score runs in six different innings in the championship game. 

Every player had at least two hits, the biggest being a bases clearing triple by Jack Fay ’17 to highlight a five-run seventh inning that broke open a close game. 

Captain Derek Retos ’14, Zach Malis ’12 (STAFF) and Alex Bernstein ’14 all had two RBIs apiece for the champions, while Connor Arnold ’14 led the team with five hits. 

The Grout Bullies also played a stellar defensive game including a fantastic diving catch by Malis in center field. 

Captain Joe Graffy ’15 and Tyler Savonen ’15 each had four hits for Team Coven, with Savonen also chipping in two RBIs in the loss.

Team Coven earned their spot in the championship with a perfect 5-0 regular season and a +49 run differential, en route to a first round bye in the playoffs. 

The team rolled to a 21-3 victory in the quarterfinals and closed out a close 7-5 victory over the fourth seed Powerhouse in the semifinal round to set up the championship game against the Bullies. 

The intramural softball season concluded intramural sports for the year. 

Intramural sports will return next fall, beginning with the outdoor soccer season.