For the first time in 20 years, a member of the men’s tennis team will be competing at the NCAA Division III Tournament. 

Brian Granoff ’17 was selected to compete at the tournament, according to a press release by Brandeis Athletics  on May 7. He will be joined by Carley Cooke ’15, who will make her third trip in as many years. 

Granoff spent most of his year at the number one court, taking the reins from Steven Milo ’13 and splitting time at the No. 1 spot with classmate Michael Arguello ’17. Granoff went 8-2 on the No. 1 court as part of a 14-8 record overall. 

He had a 2-1 record in singles play against opponents from the University Athletic Association and a 2-0 record against ranked regional opponents.

His selection to the NCAA Championships is the first since Ryan Rothenberg ’95 went to the tournament as a junior and the second since Noel Occomy ’89 won the 1988 National Championship. 

Granoff’s two losses at the No. 1 court came at the hands of Division I opponent Bryant University sophomore Dana Parziale on April 9 and UAA opponent Washington University in St. Louis junior Ross Putterman on April 24.

Cooke will return to the tournament with an 8-0 record in UAA play for her career, including a 3-0 record this year. 

She posted a 14-5 record overall, all from the number one court and went 3-0 against nationally ranked opponents from New England.

Cooke was also named to the All-UAA second team earlier this month for singles play.

The 2014 NCAA Division III Individual Tennis Championships will be hosted by the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges and will be held beginning on Thursday and lasting through Saturday. Full stats will be available on the NCAA website.