At the conclusion of its latest Thirsty Thursday event at the International Lounge in Usdan Student Center, Student Events rolled out the much anticipated lineup for SpringFest 2014.

Swedish disk jockey duo Icona Pop, featuring Caroline Hjelt and Aino Jawo, will headline the annual end-of-year festival on Sunday, April 27. Hip-hop group Atmosphere, indie rock band American Authors and electronic music artist RJD2-a hold-over from Student Events' postponed winter concert-will round out the set list. 

Director of Concerts for Student Events Stefani Gospodinova '14 explained in an interview with the Justice that the signing of Icona Pop for the concert fulfilled two of Sudent Events' goals: to recruit a female headliner and to steer away from showcasing hip-hop artists who have typically taken the SpringFest stage.

"We didn't want a hip-hop artist because we've done that a lot in the past... and we knew we wanted a female headliner so we weren't sure who, but then this was kind of like a perfect situation," Gospodinova said. 

"They're just getting off their tour with Miley Cyrus the week before, and then they're free our weekend before they go home to Sweden... so we got super, super lucky." 

In addition to the lineup of acts, Student Events also decided to break the traditional mold this year by introducing its new beach party theme.

Chapels Field will be transformed into a beach village for the concert. According to Gospodinova, the field will be covered in sand, there will be water activities and an assortment of beach-inspired giveaways will be distributed to students throughout the course of the event.

With a varied set list and plans to implement a large-scale theme, Student Events strives to not only provide a concert for the student body but actually something far greater.
"We're really adding a lot of new things and it's not just going to be a concert... it is going to be an experience," Gospodinova said.

-Emily Wishingrad contributed reporting