The men's and women's tennis teams both traveled to the Stadium Tennis Center at Mill Pond Park in the Bronx, N.Y. to square off against University Athletic Association rival New York University on Saturday.

The men's team nearly came away with an upset over No. 24 NYU before falling 5-4. However, the women followed a 5-4 win at home versus No. 30 Wellesley College the previous day with an 8-1 victory over the Violets.

The men's team came out strong against the Violets and took an early 2-1 lead after winning the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Brian Granoff '17 and Michael Secular '15 won on the No. 2 court 8-2 while Jeff Cherkin '17 and Alec Siegel '15 prevailed on the No. 3 court by the same margin.

Siegel noted that the team in practice emphasizes the importance of making a statement in doubles play.

"Doubles is definitely a strength of ours, and this is something we plan on improving as the season progresses," Siegel said. "My partner Jeff and I were firing on all cylinders in doubles. We broke their will early on and just kept playing better and better."

After a loss by Granoff in singles competition, Siegel and Secular pushed the men's lead to 4-2 with victories of 6-4, 6-4 and 6-1, 7-5, respectively. Both men earned 2-0 marks in their respective matchups on the day.

"I started my singles match very slowly, and was down big in the first set," Siegel said. "Once all the jitters were out I started playing my game and my opponent cooled down a bit. I had a really nice day against NYU."

The men, though, struggled to maintain their early success and went on to drop their last three matches, losing by a final tally of 5-4.

Siegel was disappointed by the loss but stated he was eager for a possible rematch with the Violets.

"This was a team we knew was primed for the taking and we came up short," he said. "Our team is young and will grow from this loss, but this is one that will stick with us all until a potential rematch at UAA's."

The women's team experienced a far different outcome in their matchup against the NYU Violets. The women cruised to a 3-0 mark in doubles action and dropped just one singles match. Four of the five singles wins came in straight sets as well. The only exception proved to be at the No. 1 where Allyson Bernstein '14 defeated NYU sophomore Alison Wang 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.

The match against NYU was a stark contrast to the day before, though, as the women took part in a marathon match against Wellesley that lasted six-and-a-half hours.

Brandeis got off to a strong start in doubles play by jumping ahead 2-1. Carley Cooke '15 and Simone Vandroff '15 in the No. 1 matchup as well as Marissa Lazar '14 and Bernstein in the No. 2 matchup secured wins before Wellesley notched an 8-6 victory in the third and final matchup of doubles.

Both teams then went back and forth in their respective singles matchups. Bernstein suffered defeat in the No. 2 matchup to Wellesley freshman Carina Chen 4-6, 6-2, 7-6, eventually ceding a 7-4 tie-breaker.

The match, then, was decided in another intense back and forth between Wellesley freshman Lina Ye and Vandroff. At the end of the day Vandroff prevailed, winning by a score of 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.

The women are now 3-5 on the season and look to continue their winning streak at home against Bentley University on Friday.

Meanwhile, the men sit at 4-3 and will try to bounce back from the loss at the United States Coast Guard Academy on Saturday.