The women's softball team started the 2014 season in strong fashion, reeling off 25 runs in a sweep of a doubleheader over Newbury College on Feb. 23.

The Judges built on that offensive momentum on Sunday, pouring in 21 runs in a doubleheader sweep of Southern Vermont College.

Brandeis wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard during the nightcap. In the bottom of the first inning, utility infielder Madison Gagnon '16 started off a two-run rally with a single up the middle. Second baseman Liana Moss '17 then continued to impress in just her third collegiate game, smacking a double off the wall to bring Gagnon home and hand the Judges a 1-0 lead. Catcher Cori Coleman '15 added another run with an RBI single.

In her collegiate debut as the starter, pitcher Emma Krulick '17 held Southern Vermont scoreless for two innings and allowed just three runs over five innings of work. While she coughed up a solo home run to Southern Vermont sophomore captain and second baseman Rachel Robtoy in the top of the third inning, the Judges added a few insurance runs in the bottom half with heads-up base-running. Center fielder Amanda Genovese '15 singled, stole second and then scored on an unearned error by freshman third baseman Mallory Celeste. Third baseman Anya Kamber '15 and Moss also scored on passed balls to lend the Judges a 5-1 lead.

While Krulik unraveled in the fifth inning, surrendering two runs on a double down the right field line, Coleman and right fielder Madison Sullivan '16 took care of business.

The duo added RBI singles in the bottom half of the fifth to provide a 7-3 lead that Southern Vermont failed to erase.

Meanwhile in the first portion of the doubleheader, the Judges turned in a nine-run first inning.

Genovese started the rally on an innocuous bunt single. After she crossed home following a Kamber ground-out to first base, the hit parade began. Moss started off the nine-hit streak with one crack of the bat, launching a solo home run to increase the lead to 2-0. Coleman and Sullivan turned in back-to-back RBI triples, and from there, the Judges offered up five more runs.

Two innings later, Brandeis' bats awoke once more. After second baseman Leah McWilliams '14 and Genovese contributed back-to-back bunt singles, the offensive outburst resumed. Right fielder Danielle Novotny '16 smoked an RBI double down the left field line and Moss added to her impressive stat-line with a two-run triple. Brandeis then held a 14-0 lead and later secured the shutout.

Starting pitcher Nikki Cote '15 and rookie Melissa Soleimani '17 combined for five innings of shutout ball.

The Judges, now with a 4-0 record, look to continue to build on their success in a week-long road trip to Florida. The squad begins action with a doubleheader on Sunday versus Penn State Erie, The Behrend College and Salve Regina University.