Ronny Zinner, the daughter of Carl and Ruth Shapiro and a Brandeis University trustee, passed away on March 18 at the age of 70 in Boston, according to a March 20 BrandeisNow article. Following her parents' legacy of dedication to Brandeis, Zinner served as president of the Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family Foundation, which is known for its widespread philanthropic work. The foundation supports organizations ranging from the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis to after-school youth art programs.

According to the Shapiro Family Foundation's website, Zinner focused her life on community service and had a passion for learning. She impacted countless individuals in pursuing these commitments. Both family and friends remember her as a loving, passionate leader who treated every cause with dedication and care. From her work at the foundation and other organizations, Zinner demonstrated her devotion to social justice and helping others.

In the BrandeisNOW article, University President Frederick Lawrence stressed Zinner's impact on the Heller School, where she served as the vice chair of the Board of Overseers. "Ronny's involvement with Heller reflected her values and goal of improving people's lives through positive social change. She was a remarkable woman-kind, wise and generous in every way. She will be greatly missed," Lawrence said of Zinner.

Zinner brought her values of social change to the Heller School, resulting in the establishment of the Rhonda S. and Michael J. Zinner Forum, a space used for lectures and other events.

Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement Nancy Winship, who stated in the BrandeisNOW article that she worked closely with the Shapiro family, described Zinner as a caring individual who connected with and inspired students: "Ronny was a warm, caring person who had the innate ability to connect with students and make them believe in themselves."
Dean and Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy and Vice Chair of the Board of Overseers Lisa Lynch said in her eulogy for Zinner that "she actively engaged with all those involved in the social issues and projects she funded. It was personal."

Lynch also explained that Zinner valued "public discourse on difficult issues" and fully supported the University's commitment to social justice, including funding debates at Heller on immigration policy, Medicare and Social security reform. Zinner was also Snvolved with a program that supported low-income high school students in Boston and connected them with mentors.

Lynch said that Zinner interacted personally with the students, all of whom went on to graduate from college. In the foundation's statement on Zinner's passing, Carl J. Shapiro described his daughter as a central pillar of the foundation, adding that she was all a father could ask for in a daughter. Zinner's husband Michael also stated in the statement that she would be sincerely missed by her family and the thousands of lives that she touched.

Prior to her work in social justice and philanthropy, Zinner earned her undergraduate degree from Sarah Lawrence College, followed by a Master of Social Work from Boston University and a Master of Arts in Teaching from Harvard University. Zinner also worked as a psychotherapist, often offering her services for free or at a reduced cost, according to the BrandeisNOW article.

Zinner is remembered as a notable member of the Brandeis community who consistently gave back, following in the footsteps of her parents. Aside from her efforts on campus, Zinner worked consistently within the greater Boston area on many other causes.