The Undergraduate Theater Collective, an umbrella group of five theater groups on campus, has announced its lineup of performances for the spring semester. In an email to the Justice, UTC Coordinator Alyssa Bickoff '15 explained that the various groups will produce Brandeis Cares, 1984, Killer & Me, Hairspray and Boris' Kitchen's Spring Show. Bickoff adds that they "are especially looking forward to having Brandeis Cares as a main stage performance for the first time." In the past, Brandeis Cares has co-sponsored with the Brandeis Pluralism Alliance to feature various musical numbers, improvisational skits and other performances-all in support of AIDS research and fundraising.

The UTC umbrella consists of five distinct groups, all of which are run by undergraduate students and share performance space in the Shapiro Campus Center Theater: Brandeis Ensemble Theatre, Boris' Kitchen, Brandeis Players, Hillel Theater Group and Tympanium Euphorium. Each of these five groups represents a different aspect of theater, ranging from musicals to sketch comedy. 

Brandeis Cares, which is related to the larger organization Broadway Cares, seeks to raise awareness about AIDS through theater productions, ticket sales, silent auctions and raffles. Since it is a main stage production this year, the charitable event will be able to have an even stronger impact than in prior years. 

1984, produced by Brandeis Players, is based on George Orwell's novel of the same name. In the novel, Orwell raises perplexing questions on political tyranny and socialism in a dystopian society under the watchful eye of constant government surveillance. As the National Security Agency has filled the news in recent months, Players' production of 1984 has the potential to create an intellectual dialogue on Orwell's society in a modern context. 

Killer & Me, an original dark comedy written by John Schnorrenberg '14 and produced by BET, will take the stage April 3 through 6. Killer & Me centers upon the unusual romance between a police detective and serial killer and according to Schnorrenberg, the play uses the characters to mock the typical romantic comedy. 

Having won eight Tony Awards in 2003, the nationally acclaimed musical Hairspray comes to Brandeis April 10 through 13 as HTG's spring production. The musical centers around Baltimore teenager Tracy Turnblad, who wins the chance to perform on a local dance television show. However, the musical also raises serious commentary on the social injustices of the 1960s-something quite pertinent to the founding values of Brandeis. 

Sketch comedy group Boris' Kitchen, continuing an annual tradition, presents its Spring Show on April 25 and 26. As usual, BK performs short skits on various topics, often relying on pop culture references and Brandeis-related inside jokes. In addition to their spring performance, BK also hosts a charitable event in the fall semester and the September "Old Sh*t Show." 

As always, theater remains a central part of student life on campus, attracting a wide range of students to its numerous productions each semester. From BK's comedy routines to the dystopian world of 1984, UTC displays a range of performances with their upcoming productions.