The men's and women's track and field teams traveled to Boston University to compete in the John Thomas Terrier Invitational over the weekend.

The squads secured modest results, squaring off against Division I, II and III runners from a variety of schools from around the Northeast.

Vincent Asante '14-the men's team's top sprinter-sat out the weekend's competition after straining his hamstring a week ago at Harvard University's Greater Boston Track Club Invitational.

The rest of the men's team stepped up to the challenge with a few high-ranking finishes in the day's events.

In the 400-meter dash, captain Mohamed Sidique '15 finished second in his heat with a time of 52.75 seconds. Sidique also placed 28th in the men's long jump event with a jump of 6.14 meters.

Teammates Nick Wactor '17 and Trevor Tuplin '16 also raced well in the 400-meter dash, finishing third and fourth, respectively, in their heats with times of 53.47 seconds and 54.34 seconds.

Asante, watching from the sidelines, was impressed with his team's performance on the day.

"I was very excited about the team's performance overall, as everyone has been working hard," Asante said.

Matthew Becker '16 finished third in the 800-meter run in his heat.

The team had a stronger showing, though, in the one-mile run. Grady Ward '16 led the pack, finishing ninth in his heat with a time of 4 minutes, 25.55 seconds and placing 90th overall in the race. Matt Doran '17 placed fifth in his heat and 128th overall with a time of 4:35.08 while Daniel Leon '17 placed 10th in his heat and 155th overall with a time of 4:45.44. Based on their strong performances, the trio of distance runners displayed their future potential in the meet.

As a senior, Asante recognized that he is part of the group that will leave the team in the hands of the younger members as they try to grow the program.

"My number one piece of advice is usually that each one should recognize that to be great you have to be aware of your limitations and practice good habits and with time you will see the results," he commented.

The women's team also had a strong showing in distance running, starting off with the 1000-meter run. Kelsey Whitaker '16 and Ashley Piccirillo-Horan '17 both finished in the top 25. Whitaker finished 11th with a time of 2:59.56 while Piccirillo-Horan finished 23rd with a time of 3:06.15. Whitaker's time was the best among all Division III women while Piccirillo-Horan's was third.

In the one-mile run, the women had two runners place again. Victoria Sanford '14 set another personal best in the race with a time of 5:05.33, currently fourth-best among Division III runners. Molly Paris '16 also posted a new personal best time in the race, shaving more than four seconds off of her previous best and finishing with a time of 5:46.27.

Maddie Dolins '17 ran to the fourth-fastest time among Division III runners in the 3000-meter run, setting a personal best with a time of 10:09.22 and continuing the string of successes the younger members of the women's team had on the day.

Both teams will travel to Tufts University to compete at the Tufts Stampede on Saturday.