Despite a strong first half from guards Derek Retos '14 and Ben Bartoldus '14, the men's basketball team suffered a 64-58 defeat to the New York University Violets in their first University Athletic Association matchup of the season. The Judges dropped to 8-4 (0-1 in UAA) on the season and lost in just their second road game of the 2013-14 campaign, this time in front of hundreds of Brandeis alumni and students at the Coles Sports Center.

While most students were away on winter break, the Judges defeated Roger Williams University, 81-74, on Jan. 2 and Bates College, 83-78, on Jan. 7.

Neither team was able to break out to an early lead, engaging in a back-and-forth affair against NYU in the first half. Retos led the way for the Judges, connecting on five out of six shots from beyond the arc. His fourth and fifth three-pointers of the first half came on consecutive possessions to end the half, leaving all three Violet coaches up in arms.

The five connections from beyond the three-point arc move Retos into third place on the Judges all-time three-point list with 188. He needs just 22 more to break the school record, held by Steve Harrington '92.

Bartoldus reflected on the Judges' success in the first half against the NYU defense.

"To be honest, opportunities were falling for both Derek and I [early] and we took advantage of it," he said.
The second half was a completely different story for Brandeis.

After a strong start to the half, they held a 52-44 lead over NYU with 11:56 remaining in the game. From that point, though, NYU outscored the Judges 20-6 to fuel their come-from-behind victory.

Bartoldus was hesitant to credit either team's play as the reason for the Judges' late-game struggles, ultimately chalking it up to the unfortunate bounce of the ball.

"I don't want to say it was NYU's defense, and I don't want to say we executed poorly," Bartoldus said. "[Things] just didn't fall our way."

Despite the bad bounces, the Judges had a chance to steal a win from NYU late in the game.

After center Youri Dascy '14 converted one of two free throws from the charity stripe, the Judges trailed 60-58 with 3:13 remaining. Guard Gabe Moton '14 then came up with a steal and streaked to the other end before NYU sophomore guard Max Ralby regained control of the ball.

On the ensuing possession, Brandeis got another stop. However, they were unable to execute, as Dascy missed a shot in the paint with just two minutes remaining.

The Judges got one more crack at it. After NYU junior guard Iyoha Agho missed a three pointer, Retos found himself open from three to take the lead. The shot rimmed out and NYU finally took advantage, securing the eventual four-point victory.

Retos led the way for Brandeis with 15 points, all of which came in the first half. Bartoldus contributed 14 while Moton tallied 10 points, three rebounds and five assists. Yet, the senior guard went just two of nine from the field.

Sophomore forward Evan Kupferburg led the Violets with 18 points and eight rebounds.

On Jan. 7, the Judges held off visiting Bates despite 33 points from Bates junior guard Graham Safford. Retos shined in that contest as well, knocking down four of nine from beyond the arc and six of six from the foul line en route to a team-leading 18 points.

Bartoldus excelled in that game, too, racking up 15 points with five-of-10 shooting and five free throws. Forward Alex Stoyle '14 scored 12 points. Moton battled foul trouble the whole game but still managed 13 points, connecting on five of six free throws. The Judges went 20 for 27 from the free throw line, a critical factor in the victory over the Bobcats.

On Jan. 2, Brandeis held off Roger Williams' come-from-behind efforts for an 81-74 victory. Retos again led the Judges in scoring, this time with 19 points. He went five for nine from three point land and two for two from the line. The Judges pulled ahead by 17 points at one stage of the game, but Roger Williams never stopped fighting. They cut the lead to six points, 78-72, with 41 seconds left. Clutch free throw shooting and solid defense, though, allowed Brandeis to hold on for the victory.

The Judges continue their UAA schedule this weekend, heading on the road to St. Louis and Chicago. They face Washington University in St. Louis on Friday at 9 pm, and then, the University of Chicago on Sunday at 1 p.m.
*