The women's basketball team endured mixed results this past week, defeating Johnson & Wales University Saturday 74-31 after a close defeat to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth 71-60 last Tuesday. With Saturday's win, the Judges improve to 3-4 on the year with Saturday's win.

Every player on the active roster, during Saturday's game, received playing time, as 13 of the 15 players put up points. The Judges outscored the Wildcats 43-18 in the first half, led by guard Janelle Rodriguez '14 who scored a game high 10 points-all in the first half.

Fellow guard Paris Hodges '17 chipped in with eight points of her own to go along with six rebounds.

Brandeis outrebounded Johnson & Wales 20-11 in the first half and shot 43.1 percent from the field, compared to just 23.1 percent from the Wildcats.

Brandeis continued its solid play in the second half, shooting 50 percent from the field while allowing Johnson & Wales to shoot just 12.1 percent. The Judges also pulled down 29 rebounds in the second half compared to 14 from Johnson & Wales.

The Wildcats were led by junior guard D'Ana Rolle, who tallied five points to go along with three rebounds.
The win improved the Judges' away record-an area in which they struggled last season-to 2-0.

Tuesday's game proved to be a different story for Brandeis, a first half deficit to UMass Dartmouth that could not be overcome.

The Corsairs started on a roll, breaking out on a 15-2 run to open the game. However, down 27-10, the Judges rallied back on a 15-4 run of their own to come to within six points. UMass Dartmouth responded in turn, scoring five of the next six points to close the first half with a 36-26 advantage.

Center Nicolina Vitale '14 scored eight of her 11 points in the first half, pulling down four of her team-high 10 boards to complete the double-double. Junior guard Kelsey Garrity led the Corsairs, scoring 16 of her game-high 21 points in the first half.

Although the Judges out-rebounded the Corsairs 23-13 in the second half, they were unable to put together a comeback. UMass Dartmouth took advantage of a double-technical foul called on guard Kasey Dean '14 and the Brandeis bench, knocking down all four free throws to pull ahead 66-48.

Brandeis pieced together a final 12-4 run but the effort was not enough and the Corsairs held on for the victory.

Rodriguez scored a game-high 13 points on the day, collecting four rebounds and one steal. Dean added seven points as well as nine rebounds and three assists.

The Judges defeated Simmons College 65-36 on Monday night.

Brandeis next hosts Husson University on Dec. 31 at 1 p.m.
The team could not be reached for comment at press time.