In an action-packed tip-off tournament in the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center this past weekend, the women's basketball team had two strong games to open the season, winning their first against Mount Ida College 74-39 on Friday and just narrowly losing the championship of the invitational to Colby College by a final score of 70-67 on Saturday.

The championship game was a tightly fought contest throughout, with Colby making some key free throws and three pointers down the stretch to stave off a Brandeis charge. The charge was led by Judges guard Niki Laskaris '16, with 21 bench points, and forward Nicolina Vitale '14, who posted a double-double-15 points and 10 rebounds-in the narrow defeat.

Despite the defeat, Vitale was very impressed with the offensive prowess of the new-look Judges.

"The loss to Colby definitely hurt, but both games this weekend taught us a lot." she said. "We are building off last year in the sense of our work ethic and our identity as a team, but I think our energy is at a new level, and that's making a big difference."

The energy was well evident as the team marched back from a 33-25 halftime deficit against the Mules to take a quick lead thanks to two big turnovers caused by forward Paris Hodges '17, who led the team in rebounds on the day.

Forward Tori Dobson '16 had a strong showing off the bench, contributing six points of her own.

Brandeis' second half lead would only get so far as four points in the second half by virtue of a mid-range jumper from Hodges, and from there it was a back and forth affair throughout the night.

Colby took full advantage of the early double-bonus that a relatively undisciplined Brandeis defense granted them to regain the lead.

Vitale commented on on allowing Colby these easy opportunities, noting that the team stands to improve their defense.
"Where we fell short was our half court defense, and we know that's what we take pride in," she explained. "It's definitely something that's going to be stressed in practice, and we will carry into the rest of the season."

While the Colby loss was difficult, the Judges proved their scoring prowess should not be questioned, as their first game against a very shorthanded Mount Ida team showed in Friday's win.

After an initially tight first eight minutes during which Mount Ida led 13-12, Brandeis poured on an impressive offensive assault led by Vitale and Hodges. Guard Heather Cain '16 added five points and eight rebounds in a successful Brandeis debut for the transfer sophomore.

This first half ended on a decisive 27-3 run for Brandeis that had the crowd going wild.

Vitale led all scorers with 19 points and matched Cain's game leading total of eight rebounds.

In what was an impressive showing on all fronts for Brandeis, the Judges' ability to control a game from the beginning in particular stuck out for Vitale.

"Overall, it's nice to know the team has that fight in them right from the beginning, and each day we are improving," Vitale said. "We have a hard working and talented team, if we can continue that and do all the little things right, I think we have a very exciting season."

Brandeis looks to build on their early-season successes with home games tonight and Saturday.
*