The volleyball squad lost their three matches this past weekend at the Smith College Volleyball Hall of Fame Invitational, falling to 9-20 on the season. The Judges lost 3-1 against Smith and 3-0 against Trinity College on Saturday. On Friday, Brandeis fell to local rival Tufts University by a 3-0 margin.

The Judges lost the first two sets to the host Smith Pioneers 25-15 and 26-24 respectively. However, they were able to regain their composure to take the third set by a 25-19 score.
According to middle blocker Carly Gutner-Davis '15, the Judges benefited from running a balanced offense that showed in the game against Smith.

"This weekend we experimented with new and different lineups and people were playing in different positions. In the second set that we won against Smith, we came out strong and took a quick lead and went on a run, earning a lot of points early in the match," she said.

Gutner-Davis also noted the improved results stemming from a more balanced offense.

"We passed well and as a result, we were able to run a really balanced offense, with at least two or three attackers always available for hitting options. With such an unpredictable and balanced offense, we were able to get more kills and run a faster-paced game, which is more fun [for all]," Gutner-Davis said.

Brandeis was not able to pull out another win, though, as the Pioneers won 25-16 in the deciding fourth set.

Outside hitter Liz Hood '15 led the squad with 17 kills while defensive stopper Amaris Brown '16 led with 28 digs. Smith held Brandeis to just a .042 kill percentage in the first set and a .111 kill percentage overall.

The Judges were forced into 22 attack errors over the four set match, a key component to their low overall kill percentage.

Brandeis was swept earlier that day in the match versus Trinity. After losing by a 25-18 margin in the first set, the Judges played the Bantams close in the second set but eventually suffered a 25-23 defeat. Although Brandeis looked to keep the momentum going and keep pace with Trinity, the squad dropped the last set in a decisive 25-15 loss.

Trinity saw composed performances from several players. Freshman setter Randi Whitman led the Bantams with 14 assists, 11 digs and two aces.

Additionally, senior setter Amy Hackett provided 20 assists for her team, while senior outside hitter Hannah Brickley added 13 kills and eight digs for the victorious Bantams.

In the Trinity match, outside hitter Si-Si Hensley '14 led the team with 10 kills, 28 assists and 18 digs. Hood also contributed seven kills, 22 assists and nine digs for the Judges in the loss.

After a 3-2 loss to Tufts at the Brandeis Invitational on Sept. 7, the Judges looked for vengeance against their regional opponent.

The weekend would not provide a victorious reaction, as they dropped all three sets, losing by 25-17, 25-14 and 25-17 margins. Hood also led the team with eight kills and contributed 11 points while Hensley had six digs for the Judges. For the match, though, Brandeis struggled on offense, tallying a -.016 kill percentage.

Ultimately, Gutner-Davis said she believes that the Judges need to improve keeping consistent energy levels in order to achieve success.

"Though we played with more energy at times or in certain sets this weekend, we didn't always stay consistent with our energy levels," she said, "and we weren't always consistent with our play either."

"If we work to become a more consistent team," she noted, "we will have more success."

The Judges will look to end the losing streak at home tonight against Lasell College before preparing to host a double-header this Saturday versus Endicott College and Connecticut College.