Like a lot of the children of the '90s, I've had my period of obsession with girlbands. While my classmates in middle school were listening to throwback Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys, I was savoring those golden moments of girl power to the tune of The Donnas, The Veronicas, The Faders and The Pipettes-bands that most people have never really heard of.

Now that we're into the 2010s, it takes a bit more than a posse of punk girls with eyeliner and rainbow hair extensions to thrill an audience. But that also means that the girl-bands of this decade are having to step up their game in order to make themselves relevant to a whole new generation of kids-and college students. 

Take, for example, a newer group that has been top of the charts as of late. California-bred, modern girl group HAIM, comprised of sisters Este (27), Danielle (24) and Alana (21) Haim. Along with their drummer Dash Hutton, the girls play a carefully stylized brand of indie pop with the flair of 1970s rock. Their first full-length album, Days are Gone, which was released Sept. 30 under the United Kingdom label Polydor Records, provides a delightful and sparkling sampling of their unique style. 

A constant drum line, simple instrumentals made from a colorful bass and electric guitar and the varying addition of synth or other more percussive sounds adds a dependable backing to each song on the album. Repeated melodies carried out in variations on the guitar and bass tracks contrast beautifully with the sisters' harmonic vocals. 

In a way, HAIM's sound is perfect mix of two kinds of girl groups: the vocal harmony of 1960s girl groups like The Ronettes, and the feisty, polished rock n' roll sound of groups of the early 2000s, like The Donnas. Though many publications have compared the sisters to the likes of Fleetwood Mac, HAIM's distinct mix of decade-spanning musical inspiration has somehow churned out a very (pleasantly) 1970s style product.

Whatever they may be compared to, HAIM's creations are a unique and fascinating listening experience. One of the first singles released off of Days are Gone, the upbeat, (dare I say, almost bubblegum) "Falling" is my favorite track on the album. A strong drum rhythm persists throughout the song, and multidimensional harmonies sing a confident chorus: "Don't stop, no, I'll never give up / And I'll never look back, / Just hold your head up / And if it gets rough, / it's time to get rough." The video for "Falling," released on Vevo on Feb. 19, follows the girls through a mountain hike on a beautiful, sunny day, as they dance around in matching jackets with their names embroidered on the back of each. The production gives the video a bit of a humorous, safari-like feel; when you see how much fun they had making it, you just can't help but smile. 

Other hits off Days are Gone include "The Wire," a satire to the role of the clingy girlfriend stereotype, repeating the hook, "It felt great, it felt right, oh / But I fumbled him when I came down to the wire." 

A more vulnerable and emotionally raw story is told in "Let Me Go," a story of feeling trapped by and hopeless about a lover-but even when HAIM is singing about feeling weak, they still sound sassy and seethe with girl power. The more tropical-sounding "Honey & I" lauds a happy, fulfilling love, with a perfectly joyful sounding and melodic refrain. 

I'm happy that groups like HAIM are bringing the girl band back into style-and back into this decade. The sister act is certainly one to watch, with unapologetically honest lyrics and a bold, stylistically defined sound that's easy to dance to and irresistible to sing along to. Next time you're in need of some danceable tunes, give the title track, "Days are Gone," a song about moving on and starting over, a try, and see if you can resist the beat.
*