Washington, D.C. is a city steeped in history and, for many, a fitting symbol for the American Dream. Just ask anyone who happens to stare up at the Lincoln Memorial, pass beyond the White House gates or walk through the hallowed halls of the Capitol.

As an intern in D.C. this past summer, I'm tempted to agree with that statement. However, in This Town, written by New York Times correspondent Mark Leibovich, the story of D.C. unfolds in a much different manner.

Leibovich sets the stage with a lavish depiction of the June 2008 'funeral' of Tim Russert, the late host of Meet the Press. However, the reader arrives at an immediate impression that this is really not a memorial service for one of America's esteemed journalists. The 2,000 'mourners' instead desperately vie to shine on the 'red carpet,' strengthen their political networks and gain an entrance into this vaunted "town." Washington, D.C., then, is not that beacon on a hill-for Leibovich, it's nothing more than a brand.

He proceeds to deconstruct the shining portrait of the nation's capital throughout the first Obama administration, exposing its actors as a representation of the city's apparent corruption, graft and sullied integrity. Leibovich's biting satire and gripping narrative propelled me into an unfamiliar setting, one in which D.C. is nothing more than a marketplace of connections and job peddlers. 

Yet, even after my summer in Washington, I continued to turn the pages, fascinated by this particular insider account from the White House, Congress and the bustle of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Leibovich structures his book as a series of character profiles, analyzing the 'movers and shakers' of Washington. However, these analyses are incredibly insightful and incisive, offering intimate portrayals of each political actor's ambitions and motivations.
Andrea Mitchell, according to Leibovich, is more than just a well-respected reporter for NBC News. As wife of former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan, she must balance inevitable conflicts of interest and demanding social obligations. There is also Bob Barnett, the self-proclaimed "super-lawyer" of Washington, D.C. While he may be a master in the craft of securing multi-million dollar book deals for Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin, Leibovich reveals that his true desire is to be perceived as a serious political aficionado and a "Washington wise man."

This series of intense psychological profiles occurs throughout the book, inviting the reader into a world that, for most, seems like utter fantasy. Who would have imagined that Mike Allen's Playbook for Politico-nothing more than a composition of important birthdays, events and gatherings for D.C. VIP's-had such influence on a powerful collection of Americans? Tammy Haddad, former producer of Larry King Live, totes around a "Tam Cam" to ambush Washington notables, and rather than get sued for defamation, gets paid handsomely for her services by Time and the Washington Post.

This version of D.C. is hard to swallow for most, but ultimately, it's what makes Leibovich's book both entertaining and eye-opening. The accounts are authentic and the characters are genuine, offering the ordinary American an unparalleled glimpse into how the nation's capital operates. 

Leibovich uses President Obama as a prime example at the conclusion of the book. As an ardent opponent of the Washington establishment in his 2008 presidential campaign, the president desired for his administration to be perceived as morally pure and apolitical.

Yet, for change to occur, he had to concede at times to the corporate and lobbying "villains" of the city. It's just how politics work-as Leibovich states, "they know they're playing a game and they don't pretend otherwise."

In fact, this warped sense of honesty is what makes other characters such as Kurt Bardella, power-hungry press aide to Representative Darrell Issa, and homeless child-turned-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid so endearing. They are flawed and vulnerable-just like ordinary Americans.

Leibovich inherently understands and illuminates that point for his audience.
It is important, though, to not entirely validate Leibovich's narrative. His worldview seemed somewhat fictionalized and his profiles verged at times on the edge of fantasy. However, it was a thrilling and engaging read-particularly as an aspiring politico. It also offered a lesson that especially resonated with me following my own experience in Washington.

This Town is just as much a symbol of America as Monument Row. The greatest politicians are also human with base desires and ambitions-just like us.