The No. 12 Brandeis women's soccer team certainly has momentum on their side to start the season following a Cinderella run in 2012.

The Judges-who weren't expected by many to make the NCAA Division III Tournament-went to the quarter-finals for the first time in program history, ending the season with the No. 8 ranking in Division III.

The squad that ended last season as the top-ranked Division III team in New England, having lost only two seniors, looks to continue its winning ways this season.

"Every year, the team looks to accomplish our potential," said coach Denise Dallamora, who will begin her 34th year at the helm of the program. "I think that we're a team that is worthy of qualifying for the NCAA [Division III] Tournament and we'll try to take it from there."

Forward Dara Spital '15 burst onto the scene last year. A transfer from the University of Central Florida, she scored 14 goals and provided five assists on her way to earning National Soccer Coaches' Association of America Third Team All-American and First Team All-University Athletic Association honors. She's joined at the top of the pitch by forwards Sapir Edalati '15 and Holly Szafran '16, who scored seven and five goals, respectively, last season.

While the Judges' offense relies on its attack, the team's midfielders proved quite successful in supporting the team's scoring efforts. Midfielder Alec Spivack '15 proved a formidable competitor in the middle of the park last year, earning second-team All-UAA honors. Midfielders Alyssa Fenenbock '15, Madeline Stein '14 and Mary Shimko '14 will look to continue their strong performances in that area. Midfielders Mathilde Robinson '16 and Sara Isaacson '16 also began to figure into the Judges' plans consistently at the end of last season, with Isaacson scoring the winning goal in the Judges' 2-1 overtime victory against Union College in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament.

Dallamora further pointed to the potential impact of first-year Sidney Moskowitz '17, who will likely play in midfield or up front for the Judges.

"Sidney has speed, she's quick and she's tough," Dallamora said. "She'll probably fit into our offense somewhere."
However, this team isn't just strong up top-it has a strong defense as well.

Center-back Kelly Peterson '14, an All-UAA Honorable Mention selection last year, anchored a unit that gave up just 17 goals in 23 games. Her central defensive partner, Allyson Parziale '16, started all 23 games and made a profound impact in her first season. Right-back Emma Eddy '15, who transferred from Union College before the start of last season, put in a solid debut campaign for the Judges, leading to an All-UAA Honorable Mention. Left-back Haley Schachter '16 became a key player in the starting lineup as a first-year and will look to keep that spot in her second season.

Goalkeeper Michelle Savuto '15 made great strides between her first season and her sophomore campaign. As the second-half goalie for most games last year, she conceded just 12 goals in 1,057 minutes of action, boasting a save percentage of 83.6 percent. Dallamora, therefore, recognizes that a healthy Savuto will be key to the Judges' hopes for a successful season.

"Michelle has started this year's preseason in really good shape," said Dallamora.

While some teams may have to wait until later in the season to assess their progress, the Judges will get a stern test in their first game, hosting the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Friday at 6 p.m. in a clash of ranked squads.

"Our opening game is huge," Dallamora said. "They finished the season ranked 16th in Division III last year. We finished eighth. Both teams are nationally ranked [in the NSCAA preseason poll this year]. It will be a good indicator of where we are at this point."

With the majority of its starting lineup back and ready to go, it should be another exciting fall for this squad.