After falling to Worcester State University 2-1 on Tuesday, the baseball team had a chance to redeem itself after winning the first half of a doubleheader against the Lancers' neighbors, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

However, they failed to do so, and ended the week with a 2-1 loss Saturday to WPI in the second game of the doubleheader. With the loss, the Judges are now 8-16 on the year.

In the second game of the day, the Judges began the game with catcher Chris Ferro '13 scoring a run off of a single hit by first baseman Kyle Brenner '15.

The Engineers then responded with an RBI single of their own in the second inning, scoring senior third baseman Shane Sampson. WPI then scored an un-earned run in the third, which proved to be the game-winning run, as neither team was able to score for the rest of the game in what proved to be a defensive battle.

WPI sophomore starting pitcher Taylor Landry outdueled Judges starting pitcher Mike Swerdloff '13, with both pitchers going the distance and allowing only one earned run.

Though Swerdloff picked up the loss and fell to 2-4 on the year, he gave one of his best pitching performances of the season, allowing only five hits and tallying six strikeouts on the day.

The first game of the doubleheader also had strong pitching performances. This particular one came from starting pitcher Dylan Britton '13.

Britton pitched a complete game, allowing two earned runs on seven hits while striking out four, as the Judges won 5-3. Britton improved to 4-2 on the year.

Following the win, Britton explained that the location of his fastball was the key to his success on the mound Saturday.
"I thought I had some pretty good stuff," Britton said. "I had one bad inning, but besides that inning, I felt really good. As a pitcher, everything relies on your command of the fastball, and I didn't have that early, but found it late."

The pitching was not the only bright spot for the Judges, however. Though the team only had six hits, they jumped on the scoreboard early, bringing home three runs in the bottom of the first, which proved to be a monumental shift in the balance of power in the overall complexion of the game.

After a RBI single hit by Brenner, the Judges started to play small ball in an attempt to load the bases, as second baseman Tom McCarthy '15 laid down a bunt single to load the bases. The bunt would set up a fielder's choice RBI hit by third baseman Dominic Schwartz '14 two batters later.

McCarthy explained the importance of having the top of the order produce hits and runs.

"We have a very talented lineup one-to-nine," McCarthy said. "When our top of the lineup gets on base, it helps to jump start our offense. It allows us to create runs. Every at-bat there is a job to do, and when a few guys can do a job consecutively, we are real successful."

WPI made a game of it, though, as the Engineers responded immediately in the top of the second by scoring three runs to tie the game and grab the momentum.

Yet, Brandeis took the lead back two innings later, capitalizing on a WPI error to score two unearned runs. Those proved to be all the runs the Judges would need to hold onto the vital victory.

Though McCarthy was admittedly upset with the lack of consistency the team has experienced recently, he knows the Judges have what it takes to be successful when they are able to put it all together.

"It's very frustrating for there to be such a big difference in one game, and at this point, every game is a must win. I'm confident we will start figuring out the idea of being a little more consistent."

Britton echoed McCarthy's frustration with the team's effort not translating into victories and, in a rather blunt manner, noted the team had to start playing with a sense of urgency in order to rectify that problem.

"We have spurts of good hitting, good fielding and good pitching, but we need to bring it all together," Britton explained after the WPI double header. "We need to string some wins together. Every game from here on out we need to treat as a must-win game. It's too late for excuses; we need some results."

In the first game of the week last Tuesday, the Judges used seven different pitchers in a 9-5 losing effort against Worcester State held on Stein Diamond.

The Lancers struck early, scoring four runs in the first three innings. Though the Judges responded scoring one in the bottom of the third on a wild pitch, the Lancers added two more in the fourth.

The Judges then scored three in the sixth, taking advantage of two Worcester State errors. That was not enough good fortune for the Judges to be able to pick up the win, however, as the Lancers scored three more insurance runs in the eighth to put the game away and condemned the Judges to yet another frustrating defeat.

However, the season has plenty more opportunities for the Judges to pick up some vital wins in the closing stretch. This afternoon, Brandeis will host another doubleheader against Johnson & Wales University, with the first game starting at 3:00 p.m. and the second game at 5:00 p.m.