After enduring mixed results on the team's annual University Athletic Association trip to Florida, the softball squad looked to its return to New England an as opportunity to turn the corner and win with consistency.

So far, it has proven to be just the boost the Judges needed.
In double-headers at home against Lasell College, Framingham State University and the University of Massachusetts at Boston, the Judges went undefeated, which improved their season record to 15-8.

"I think there are three major keys to the past six wins," said pitcher Casey Ducinski '13.

"First of all, we have been making great adjustments at the plate. Two, we are not pressing too much when we are down. If we fall behind either at the beginning or the end of the games, we continue to play our game, one pitch at a time, with a lot of hard work and hustle. Thirdly, I think there is just all around a huge team effort. Everyone is contributing and playing their part whether it be a small part or big part."

The Judges decimated the Lasers of Lasell in emphatic fashion this Sunday on Marcus Field. Catcher Cori Coleman '15 had four RBIs in the two games, including a three-run home run that she hit in the second game, which the Judges won 8-0. Pitcher Melissa Nolan '14 picked up the win on the hill in that game for Brandeis, giving up two hits and striking out four in a five-inning complete game. Pitcher Nikki Cote '15 was credited with the victory in the first game, which Brandeis handily earned by a 9-2 margin.

The Judges' encounters against Framingham State were tighter, though, than the games against Lasell. In the first game of the day, the Judges were deadlocked 2-2 in the seventh inning, as Ducinski allowed just two runs in six innings of work.

However, after being relieved by Cote, the Judges went down 5-2 before RBIs from center fielder Amanda Genovese '15 and second-baseman Danielle Novotny '16 tied the game at 5-5. Shortstop Anya Kamber '15 provided the last word for the Judges, hitting an RBI single to left-field to end the game and give the Judges the victory.

The second game featured a five-inning performance from Nolan, who struck out 12 batters in a resounding 11-3 victory.

Against UMass Boston, the Judges got off to a flying start, scoring the game's first six runs. Genovese got on base with a single in the first inning and then stole second and third bases before a single from Coleman brought her home to score the game's first run. Brandeis then scored three runs in the second inning to go up 4-0, before notching two more in the fourth for a commanding 6-0 lead. And while three-run homer from sophomore catcher Amanda Hemstock made things uncomfortable for the Judges, they were able to close the game out with a 6-4 win.

Brandeis got off to a fast start in the second game as well, going up 4-0 en route to the 5-3 victory.

Although the Judges are away for their next two games, squaring off in double-headers against Wheaton College and Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Ducinski remains optimistic about her team's chances to win its key games.

The Judges received a bonus as Genovese, who set the Judges' single single-season steal record in the second game against Lasell, was named UAA Softball Hitter of the Week.
"Moving forward, I see a lot of success," she said. "I only see us improving our roles more and more as the season continues."

The Judges play at Wheaton today at 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. They then take on Endicott College Thursday at 3:30 p.m.
*