Former American Studies Professor Lawrence Fuchs, a leading immigration scholar, the founder of Brandeis' American Studies department and an admired faculty member for 50 years, passed away on March 17 at his home in Canton, Mass., due to complications from Parkinson's. He was 86.

Fuchs, who retired in 2002 as the Meyer and Walter Jaffe Professor of American Civilization and Politics, began his teaching career in 1952 in the Politics department before turning to American Studies. He was not only the department's founder, in 1970, but also served as its chair for 25 years, according to a BrandeisNOW press release.

His notoriously popular courses included one on American politics, which he taught alongside former first lady and Brandeis Trustee Eleanor Roosevelt for two years in the late 1950s and early 1960s, according to the press release.

Among his many other roles at the University, Fuchs served terms as dean of the faculty and a faculty representative to the Board of Trustees.

Outside of Brandeis, Fuchs was a prominent figure in American immigration policy, lobbying to pass significant immigration reform legislation in 1981 and advising presidents from Kennedy to Reagan, according to an April 6 New York Times article. Fuchs is also known for authoring "The American Kaleidoscope: Race, Ethnicity and the Civic Culture," a notable work on race in America.

"Larry exemplified the rare capacity to balance and reconcile the values of friendship and family with the moral imperative to repair the larger world," said Prof. Stephen Whitfield (AMST), the Max Richter Professor of American Civilization, in an interview with BrandeisNOW. "He was both admired and loved. He possessed an exceptional combination of emotional empathy and political effectiveness."

Fuchs received his bachelor's degree from New York University in 1950 and his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1955, according to BrandeisNOW. He also served the United States as a Navy medic in World War II.

A memorial service is planned to take place at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 21, in Sherman Function Hall in the Hassenfeld Conference Center. Members of the Brandeis community and the public are welcome to attend.

Fuchs was predeceased by his wife, Betty Corcoran Hooven Fuchs. Surviving Fuchs are a brother, Victor; four daughters; three sons; and nine grandchildren.