*

Last season, the No. 19 men's basketball team struggled to a 3-4 road record in University Athletic Association play. 
*
After a sweep in the Midwest against the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis last weekend, the Judges have made a complete 180.
The Judges overcame halftime deficits in both UAA games last weekend to improve their record to 14-2 and 5-0 in the conference. The squad defeated the University of Chicago, 59-55, before traveling to St. Louis and beating No. 13 Washington University, 67-62, earning a 3-0 road record in UAA play. This is just the second time Brandeis has ever completed a sweep of its Midwest trip. 
Brandeis started out slowly in both games, but by the second half, managed to raise its quality of play.
*
"We have the tendency to come out slowly and we take a while to get into the flow of the game," said forward Alex Stoyle '14. "We have been grinding and battling and just finding a way to win which is a big step in becoming a great team."
*
On Sunday, Brandeis came out of the gate slowly. The Judges found themselves down 25-21 at halftime after struggling from the field at 23.3 percent. WashU out-rebounded the Judges 25-17, which proved to be among the Judges' top concerns entering the game. WashU led Division III with a 13.3 rebound differential entering Sunday's game.
*
The second half was a completely different story for Brandeis. The Judges got hot from the field as they knocked down 53.6 percent of their shots, including eight-for-15 from beyond the three point arc. Guard Ben Bartoldus '14 and forward Alex Schmidt '14 led the balanced rebounding effort with five apiece in the half, leading the Judges to a 24-14 rebounding advantage.
*
The second half was a much closer battle, as the lead changed hands many times. With two minutes, 30 seconds left the game was tied 57-57. The Judges missed two three pointers, but each time, Schmidt claimed the offensive rebound. The third attempt finally connected, as guard Gabriel Moton '14 knocked down a three ball. They then hit seven-for-eight from the free throw line down the stretch to secure the victory.
*
Moton and guard Derek Retos '14 combined for 37 of the Judges' 46 points in the second half. After missing his three attempts in the first half, Retos went six-for-nine from three point land en route to 23 second half points. Moton had 14 points on four-for-six shooting from the field. shooting from the field. Bartoldus noted that Washington University's defense dictated the flow of Brandeis' offense and allowed them to find Retos and Moton open often.
*
"It was just how the game flowed," said Bartoldus. "The defense was giving them opportunities
and they stepped up and knocked down huge shots."
*
Overall, Retos led the way with 23 points. Moton finished with 17 points, four rebounds and four assists. Bartoldus led the way with six rebounds.
On Friday, the Judges started slowly and entered halftime down by a 34-24 margin. The second half proved to be an entirely different game for the Judges. They started the half on a 12-3 run, sparked by Moton's seven quick points. His bucket with 14 minutes, 39 seconds left in the game brought the Judges within a 37-36 margin. 
*
Guard Jay Freeman '13 then entered the game and fueled the Judges with two quick baskets. However, Chicago led 42-41 with 12 minutes, 16 seconds to go.
Eight minutes later, the game was tied at 48. The game went back-and-forth, but Stoyle made two free throws to give the Judges a six-point lead, 56-50, with two minutes, seventeen seconds left. Fourteen seconds later, Chicago freshman guard Royce Muskeyvalley drained a three pointer to cut the Judges' lead to three.
*
The next possession won the game for Brandeis. They let the shot clock wind down and managed to grab an offensive rebound. Stoyle knocked in a three-pointer as the shot clock expired to give the Judges a 59-53 lead with 51 seconds left in the game. A late Chicago jumper proved to be too late, resulting in a 59-55 final score.
*
Moton led the way with 14 points, eight rebounds, and five assists. Center Wouter Van der Eng '13 tied a career high with eight rebounds. Stoyle scored twelve points and Retos added 11 off the bench.
*
The Judges continue their road trip next weekend when they play at Emory University on Friday at 7 p.m. and at the University of Rochester on Sunday.