*

Student Union President Todd Kirkland '13 delivered his fall semester State of the Union address on Dec. 11 in the International Lounge in Usdan Student Center. His speech highlighted the Union's efforts in outreach, dining services, and revamping the club chartering process, among other things.

The address, which came three days before the start of final exams, managed to draw a total of six students and Andrew Flagel, senior vice president for students and enrollment.

Kirkland began on a positive note, reminding the audience of the success of the men's and women's soccer teams, the accomplishments of the Brandeis Academic Debate and Speech Society, and efforts by the student body to bring the TODAY Show to campus.

Kirkland called this last campaign "a great testament to our student spirit as such a small school."

The Union's outreach efforts this semester included the initiation of Deis Launchpad, a radio show that airs on WBRS on Thursdays. The program is hosted by senators, who discuss current Senate initiatives.

Other outreach efforts included the Meet the Senate event held in October and the effort by Kirkland and his Chief of Staff Jesse Manning '13 to fill positions on University Committees.

Kirkland also addressed the death of Akshay Venkatesh '14 this fall, extending his and the Union's condolences to Venkatesh's friends and family.

"We are a great community here at Brandeis, and there are numerous campus resources here to lend a helping hand," he said. "No one should ever feel alone in handling the inevitable stresses and pressures of life, especially in times of academic pressure."

Regarding the early December announcement that the University would be taking bids from various dining services providers, Kirkland acknowledged students' concern over value and quality.

However, the top priority, in his view, was renovation. According to Kirkland, Brandeis dining facilities last saw a major round of renovation in 1998.

Kirkland also proposed a review of the use of venues such as the Stein and Cholmondley's, which are perhaps not being used as effectively as they used to be.

He will be meeting personally with Senior Vice President of Administration Mark Collins bi-weekly this semester to discuss ongoing projects.

He also commended the Treasury on one of the most efficient years it has ever had, as described to him by Treasurer David Clements '14. A system of increased collaboration between the Treasury and the Finance Board has proven effective this semester, said Kirkland.

Taking a moment to address concerns surrounding the framework of the strategic plan, which was released in November, Kirkland said that he understands the criticism. However, he also said that he believes the student feedback received at sessions last fall is being included in the plan.

"I will ensure that students will see a section outlining proposed goals for student life on campus," said Kirkland. "I'm an advocate in the room for you all, and I will not let you down for that."

Kirkland also pledged to champion the cause of "off-campus students that feel disconnected from the University."

Kirkland said that the Union would work over the winter break to renew the election process guidelines, fixing glitches "once and for all" in amendments to be proposed in the spring.

"There is no need for [the election system] to be so complicated," said Kirkland. "It forces us to use a clunky and clumsy system like Big Pulse."

Another Union system which Kirkland hopes to improve upon this semester is the chartering and operation of clubs. He said that he and the Senate Club Support Committee, chaired by Senator at Large Charlotte Franco '15, are working toward the establishment of a structure through which clubs can collaborate.

After the initial address, when the floor was opened up to questions, Kirkland further described what he saw as an ineffective system of clubs with overlapping interests or goals. Furthering organized collaboration between such clubs would be one of the Union's goals moving forward, he said.

He held up Waltham Group, the umbrella group of community service clubs on campus, as an example of how this might work. As Waltham Group has a hierarchy and an advisor, its member clubs have clear-cut resources.

Future plans outlined in the address included the establishment of a school pride day, tentatively titled "Deis Day." Plans for Deis Day, if not the first actual day itself, will come in the spring, said Kirkland.

A similar celebration, the second annual Deis Impact festival of social justice, will take place this February, with almost 40 events planned.

"For all those involved, thank you so much for helping grow and expand a festival that I hope will stay ingrained in our University for generations to come," said Kirkland.

In response to questions regarding student involvement, particularly the low attendance at his first presidential address to the student body, Kirkland noted the increased use of social media by students replacing face-to-face interaction.

"I wouldn't say involvement has necessarily decreased, but it has shifted from one medium to another," he said.

Elly Kalfus '12 said she attended the address as part of a tradition of live blogging it each semester for the student-run blog Innermost Parts.

"I was really surprised. I thought more people would be here," she said in an interview with the Justice. "I think Todd did a good job and I'm happy there were some people here to support him."