His job in Kenya has already transformed into more than a job. "I feel like I'm working toward something that's really important to me," said Matthew Travis '05.
Travis is the volunteer coordinator and acting finance officer in Kenya for the nonprofit organization Flying Kites, which provides education and support for orphaned children in Kenya.
The organization began as an orphanage founded by college graduates who had volunteered in orphanages in Nairobi and became interested in improving the lives of the children they encountered.
"Flying Kites strives to create a better orphanage than the ones that already exist where the orphans could truly be given the opportunity to excel and be anything they want to without being limited by their circumstances."
One of the best things for Travis about Brandeis was what he called the "diversity in study and community." The eclectic collection of students he made connections with during his time at Brandeis greatly influenced his decision to go into nonprofit work.
"I had a couple friends who did Teach for America and another who joined the Peace Corps after college. I knew I wanted to do something like that, but I wasn't sure how."
Travis became involved in the organization recently, though he did similar nonprofit work with Liberia mission in West Africa prior to joining the Flying Kites team a month and half ago. He was "blown away" by how developed Nairobi was compared to Liberia.
His job with Flying Kites involves managing the employees responsible for recruiting American volunteers. His role as finance officer keeps him busy negotiating salaries, as well as haggling for resources such as fuel and food.
Travis' administrative position does not prevent him from having routine contact with the children. He was able to remain a presence on the school's campus. "My wife and I always saw [the children] in the mornings as they headed to school," he said. Other interactions came in the form of dinners and after school study sessions.
A History and Politics major, a liberal arts background taught Travis how to think, even if he couldn't always directly apply the knowledge he gained to his work with Flying Kites. "[Politics and History] are two very vague degrees, but I truly believe that I 'learned how to learn.'"
But the formal education he received at Brandeis ended up being only a small portion of the valuable knowledge he gained.
"Living in halls with my classmates taught me how to deal with people," Andrew stressed. "The importance of my education, both formal and informal, allowed me to succeed. "
Prior to his work in Africa, social action did not have an obvious place in his life. During his years at Brandeis, he poured his passion for community-building into his involvement as president of Mountain Club. The principles of being part of a supportive, educational community like Mountain Club are similar to the work he does in Kenya.
"With the Mountain Club I got to teach people how to climb and how to belay. I really enjoy being a part of a learning institution where I can share my skills."
In addition to Mountain Club, Travis was actively involved in the Kayaking Club and as an EMT for Brandeis Emergency Medical Corps.
The program is still a work in progress. "The volunteer program has been revised within the past 6 months," Travis explained. One the major areas of the program he wants to strengthen is "bringing in people who are able to specialize, take their training and directly apply their knowledge."
Flying Kites is unique because it stresses making Kenyans self-sufficient, giving them the tools to provide a nurturing and healthy environment for the orphans.
"One of my goals at Flying Kites is to put those sort of crucial functions in the hands of Kenyans so they are not reliant on American volunteers," he said.
The nature of his work provided him perspective on his own life. He realized that his relationships with loved ones really matter above all other things.
"I've gained ... the ability to focus on my relationships with friends and family and to worry less about 'first world problems,'" Travis explained.
Travis is currently in the United States, but has plans to return to Kenya on Dec. 16. Although he is eager to throw himself back into his work, he admits that one of the most challenging aspects of his works is being away from his family and friends.
"It is always very hard to travel away from one's community," Travis said.
Going forward, Travis is specifically looking to recruit "college graduates who are willing to take sabbaticals from their careers who also have a lot of work experience to pull from," beyond their education.
Travis's experience of removing himself from his natural environment realigned his values, giving him a worldly perspective he would not otherwise have.
"Many people find relief in the simplicity of life, which can sometimes be a little condescending. When I made the transition, it gave me the opportunity to decide [what] was valuable."