The women's soccer squad trotted out to Gordon Field on Senior Day with an opportunity to make a bold statement in a match against Carnegie Mellon University, the leaders of the University Athletic Association. While the Judges lost 4-0 against the Tartans Sunday, the squad forced a 0-0 draw with Emory University, the No. 1 ranked team in the country, just two days earlier.

Carnegie Mellon senior forward Brianna Magill halted the Judges' momentum in just the eighth minute, finishing a through ball from junior forward Alex Venegas to hand the Tartars a 1-0 lead.

The Judges faced an early deficit and barely had time to regroup before disaster struck again. Venegas charged goalie Francine Kofinas '13 after receiving a cross from the middle of the field, and she fired off a shot in the 25th minute that flew past the outstretched hands of Kofinas into the top-left corner of the crossbar. The Judges stared down a 2-0 deficit, and with it, an uphill battle by the end of the first half.

Kofinas recovered for the remainder of her time in goal, recording a season-high 61 minutes in goal while allowing two goals and earning two saves.

Defender Emma Eddy '15 also kept the Tartans' offense in check throughout much of the game. She managed to clear the ball off the line in both the 42nd and 62nd minutes, defusing two potentially costly offensive opportunities.

Goalie Michelle Savuto '15 entered the game in the 62nd minute, and soon after, the Tartans rediscovered their offensive prowess. Venegas struck again for Carnegie in the 67th minute, firing off a shot in off of the left post to increase the visitors' lead to three goals. Sophomore forward Savina Reid rounded out the scoring for the Tartans with a well-placed header in the 71st minute.

While the Judges struggled to compose an offensive attack, rookie midfielder Mathilde Robinson '16 fired off two shots, one of which was on target.

The Judges drop to 12-4-2 overall and 1-3-2 in the UAA with the loss.

Coach Denise Dallamora cited that the squad struggled to capitalize on key offensive opportunities and, thus needs to improve on finishing goals.

"We win once we connect up top and get ourselves in scoring position," she said. "This way, we finish well and can improve on our offensive struggles."

The Judges, after a home match against Emory on Friday, looked like an entirely different team. The defense was impenetrable, and after a gritty match that was sent into double-overtime, the Judges walked away with a 0-0 draw against the No. 1 team in the nation.

The Judges also broke the school record for shutouts in a season with 12.

Dallamora noted that the sterling defensive effort this season could not have been achieved without her squad or staff.

"Our defense has been great, but we also have two extremely hard-working goalkeepers in Savuto and Kofinas," she said. "We also have to thank Neil Caine, our goalkeeper coach, who has really helped the duo to a terrific season."

The Judges continued to struggle, though, offensively, ceding an 8-0 shot advantage to the Eagles. However, defender Kelly Peterson '14 anchored the line and Kofinas fended off a key shot to maintain a scoreless tie after the first half.

The Judges' offense came back to life in the second half with four shots against Emory. Forward Dara Spital '15 possessed a key scoring opportunity in the 64th minute with a free kick inside the penalty box. The Eagles' goalie held firm and swatted the ball away to maintain the draw. Savuto impressed on her end as well, saving four shots.

Midfielder Mary Shimko '14 offered up two scoring efforts for the Judges in the 91st and 99th minute, providing long-range shots that veered just wide of the net. Spital had one last opportunity in the 107th minute, racing with senior goalie Kaele Leonard for a ball that landed precariously close to the net. Leonard dived in front for the ball and prevented the goal, leading to a 0-0 tie.

The Judges, though, had no problem in the scoring department with a 3-1 victory over Lasell College last Tuesday. They fired off the first four shots of the game before breaking through in the 21st minute. Spital fired off a clean shot from five yards out to secure her team-leading 10th goal of the season and a 1-0 lead.

The squad reeled off four more shots to start the second half but, in the 63rd minute, Robinson eventually knocked in the game-winner off a cross from forward Sapir Edalati '15. Lasell countered with a goal in the 74th minute but Edalati provided an insurance effort, striking with a 35-yard goal in the 87th minute to hand the Judges a 3-1 victory.

Dallamora was optimistic about the team's chances for post-season success, even after a challenging weekend.

"We played well, and if we win out against [New York University], we could possibly land an [NCAA] bid," she said.
The Judges conclude regular-season action with a road match at New York University this Saturday at 11 a.m.