With four consecutive losses against Western New England University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the baseball team has found itself in a rut. Unable to notch a win since late February, the Judges have been beset with loss after heartbreaking loss.

Relief pitcher Alex Tynan '12 stated that, while the results are grim for the team, each member has put all of his effort into every game.

"It's tough because it has kind of been the same thing these last few weeks, but there is still no lack of effort [on the part] of our teammates," he said.

The Judges concluded their weekend with another disheartening 7-3 loss, this time to UMass Dartmouth. UMass roared right out of the gates, earning three runs in the first inning. Pitcher Brian Ing '14 scored in the second on a hit by infielder Pat Seaward '12, who advanced to second on an error. Center fielder Kenny Destremps '12 launched a homer in the eighth inning, but the consistent offensive output from UMass Dartmouth left Brandeis in the dust.

In the doubleheader last Saturday against Worcester Polytechnic Institute, the Judges fell just short with both games reaching extra innings.

In Saturday's first game against WPI, Brandeis pitchers nearly shut out the Engineers, but in the end, WPI emerged with a 2-1 victory. Starting pitcher Michael Swerdloff '13 only gave up one run in eight innings and struck out eight WPI batters, the second highest total of his career. A final run from the Engineers in the ninth inning would bring the game to an unfortunate conclusion for the Judges.

In the second half of the doubleheader, pitcher Pat Nicholson '11, MA '12 turned in an excellent performance, striking out six WPI batters while allowing one run in seven innings. Destremps notched two hits, including an RBI single that gave the Judges a 1-0 lead in the third inning. The teams exchanged runs in the fifth and sixth innings, but a final WPI run in the ninth inning cost the Judges the game once again.

Outfielder Joe Galli '12 stated that the team performed admirably, but fate seemed to be against the Judges in the doubleheader.

"We played pretty well, but some things didn't go our way," he said. "Without a couple errors here and there, we could've done really well. It's frustrating, but we go to work every day, giving it the best we have."

Last Thursday, while the grill was still heating up for the Bronstein Week barbeque, the Judges were ice-cold, falling to Western New England by a score of 10-2. Brenner started off strong in the first inning, allowing only two hits to the Golden Bears. In the second inning, with no outs, the Golden Bears notched a leadoff double and then a single to put two runners on base. After an RBI groundout to close off the inning, Western New England had jumped out to a 2-0 lead. In the following two innings, the Golden Bears drove in four more runs after two errors by the Judges.

The Judges would finally get on the scoreboard in the sixth inning. Nicholson started the inning with a triple down the right field line, sneaking past the glove of the Golden Bears right fielder to roll all the way to the wall. Destremps hit his first pitch at bat into left field, carrying Nicholson home for a RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning,

Third baseman Tommy McCarthy '15 drove Nicholson home two batters later, rocketing the ball past the opposing shortstop into left field, allowing Nicholson to score his second run of the game. Despite opportunity to change their fate, this would be the final run of the game for the Judges.

The team will look to regroup against Tufts University tomorrow at 3:30 p.m at home.

*