It may have been just another race in the eyes of Chris Brown '12 and Taylor Dundas '14, but the one-mile race proved to be the main event for those on hand at the Reggie Poyau Invitational at home last Saturday.

Though many runners set a scorching pace right from the opening gun, Brown and Dundas sat back at the outset of the race. Most of the pack made its way through the first quarter mile in a notable 70 seconds.

"It went out kind of slow," said Brown. "We just kind of let the other guys do the work."

The remaining six laps, however, were a different story, as Brown and Dundas ramped up the pace to finish with record-breaking times.

The runners finished with times of 4 minutes, 20.96 seconds and 4:23.67, respectively. The marks currently stand as the fifth- [and] sixth- best times nationally in Division III.

"We were very happy with that opener," said Dundas, whose previous personal best stood at 4:18.

"We have only done about two other workouts [since the end of cross country], so to come away with that was satisfying."

Those two runners were not the only performers to excel on the track last Saturday.

Both the men's and women's teams featured four individual winners en route to notching third-place finishes.

In addition, Kate Warwick ‘12 and Lily Parenteau ‘12 both notched Athlete of the Week honors on the women's side, while Chris Brown won the distinction for his performance in distance.

Stonehill College ended up taking the top spot for both genders.

In addition to Brown, Vincent Asante '14, Brian Foley '13 and Kensai Hughes '14 finished at the top of their events.

Asante won the final of his event by 12-hundredths of a second, finishing the 55-meter race in 6.59 seconds. This effort would lead to a 10th-place ranking in Division III.

Foley also placed well, completing the 400-meter race in 51.41 seconds. Hughes, seeded seventh, managed to improve his ranking with a long jump of 20 feet, 2.5 inches.

Hughes showed his versatility at the meet, also notching a third-place finish in the 200-meter race with a time of 23.81 seconds.

The 1,000-meter run featured two scorers in Marc Boutin '12, who placed third with a finish of 2:34.44, followed by Michael Rosenbach '15, who took sixth with a finish of 2:36.41.

Ed Colvin ‘14 was third in the 5,000-meter race, clocking out at 15:46.14. Jeffrey Maser '15 picked up a pair of fourths in the 55-meter hurdles, with a time of 8.98 seconds, while he also jumped a new personal best in the high jump at 6 feet, 2 inches.

On the women's side, Kate Warwick '12—fresh off competing at the NCAA Division III Championship in cross country—took the 3,000-meter run in 10:12.23, 12 seconds ahead of Miriam Stulin '15.

Lily Parenteau '12 took the high jump, leaping 5 feet, 1.5 inches. Kim Farrington '13 won the triple jump, going the distance of 35 feet, 1/2 inch.

The women's 4x400 meter squad, consisting of Casey McGown '13, Ali Kirsch '14, Annifreed Sinjour '13 and Michelle Fry '15 took home top honors, covering the track in 4:12.04, en route to their first-place finish.

Brittany Bell '13, fresh off a second-place finish at the Jay Carisella Invitational last weekend at Roxbury, Mass., continued her prowess in the 55-meter race, claiming the runner-up spot with a finish of 7.40 seconds.

Vicky Sanford '14 was second in the 1,000-meter with a time of 3:06.31, two spots ahead of Kristi Pisarik '15, who finished at 3:09.78.

Fry finished third in the 400-meter race, while McGown placed fifth in 1:02.33. Kirsch took bronze in the 400 at 2:26.47.

After Brown took home an impressive finish in the mile run, he reflected on the overall performance of the track teams this weekend.

"We still have a long way to go before reaching top form," said Brown.

"However, the meet proved to be a good benchmark for us."

Brandeis' already strong distance crew will look to improve as the season progresses.

Assuming no unexpected hurdles obstruct the Brandeis indoor track squads, the track—and the team's potential for success—is wide open.

The teams will next compete at the Dartmouth Relays at Dartmouth College on Jan. 8.