The volleyball team lost in a close match last Thursday, coming within two points in the final two sets. However, they were swept by the Lions by scores of 25-14, 25-23 and 25-23. The Judges fell to 7-11 on the season after the non-conference loss.

Emerson started off strong in the first set, taking the first eight points. The Judges could not recover, dropping the set in a blowout.

The Judges bounced back in the second set, matching the Lions point-for-point. In the set alone, there were 15 ties and four lead changes. Brandeis and Emerson were tied at 23-23, but, with the chance to close out the set, the Judges faltered. Emerson junior outside hitter Kelsey Scanlon had two decisive kills to seal the set, giving her team a chance to sweep the match.

Despite dropping the set, setter Yael Einhorn '14 felt that the Judges played much better in the second set, establishing team chemistry and making fewer errors.

"Each individual player finally showed what she is capable of doing on the court, and the team began to play more as a unit," she said.

"We started communicating better, working better as a team," middle blocker Becca Fischer '13 added.

"We limited our errors better. Overall, we played a much more fluid set."

The third set played out in a very similar fashion, with nine ties and four lead changes. Brandeis eventually found itself tied at 20 apiece with Emerson. However, Emerson scored five of the final eight points of the set, emerging with a 25-23 victory to clinch the match.

Outside hitter Si-Si Hensley '14 co-led Brandeis with 11 kills and a career high 22 digs. Outside hitter Liz Hood '15 also notched 11 kills, while Einhorn also had 11 kills and 26 assists. Middle blocker Lauren Berens '13 tallied four kills, and Fischer earned five kills, one assist and the Judges' lone block.

Einhorn stated the team needed to be consistent throughout the match and get off to a stronger start.

"Our team always seems to start off slow," she said. "It's what I've been saying the whole time. We get better throughout the game, but we have to start stronger. In order to win, we all have to fight from the beginning [of the match]. We can't wait to get into the game until the second set; we have to get into the game right away."

Fischer agreed that the team continues to put forth its best effort, but in order to win in the future, the Judges have to be just as strong both at the beginning and end of the match.

"I'm not exactly sure what changed," she said. "But we came out with a lot of fight, and we really wanted to win. Hopefully we can transfer that to the beginning of matches from now on."

The Judges travel to the University of Rochester this weekend for its second University Athletic Association round robin of the season. On Saturday, Brandeis will take on the University of Chicago and then Case Western Reserve University. The team next squares off against Emory University followed by Rochester on Sunday.

"Hopefully, in practices this week, leading up to the UAA games [this weekend], we can focus on coming out hard in the first set," added Fischer. "We'll use the practices to work on that."