The intramural soccer season ended in epic fashion late last Thursday, with the men's soccer championship going down to the wire on penalty kicks. Joga Bonito prevailed over American Express, winning by a score of 5-3 on penalties after an impressive comeback in regulation.

In the coed championship, which was held earlier in the night, Stan Ree blanked Nova 4-0 for the championship.

In the men's match, American Express dominated the first half. With the defense able to shut down Joga Bonito's potent offense, American Express was able to fire off two goals. At 15 minutes, 55 seconds left in the half, Billy Geibel MA '12 slammed it into the top left shelf of the net for the first goal of the match. About 10 minutes later, American Express was able to edge in another goal on a laser from Cameron Welter '12 that trickled through the keeper's five-hole to increase the lead to 2-0.

However, Joga Bonito broke through with its first score at the 15:55 mark of the second half on a huge rip from IBS exchange student Giulio Tramontana that sailed right through the net. American Express' defense stayed tough, clinging to the one-goal lead until Joga Bonito notched the tying goal with less than five minutes remaining on a strike from the right side by IBS exchange student Angelo Lacroix.

The two sides failed to find the net for the rest of the second half and all of overtime, which sent the game to penalties. After each team put home its first three kicks, Joga Bonito broke through with a fourth goal while American Express' fourth attempt sailed wide of the net. Joga Bonito's fifth player nailed the final score of the season, winning the men's tournament.

One hour earlier, Stan Ree defeated Nova by a score of 4-0 in the coed final. After 10 minutes of lockdown defense, Stan Ree notched the first goal of the match at 9:10. A counterattack landed Dylan Britton '13 an open look at the net, which was slotted home in the top left of the net.

Now a tight 1-0 affair, Stan Ree would start the next half off with a bang, as Stephen Kostel '11 MS '12 earned his team's second goal and his first of two on the match on a fast break just 15 seconds into the half.

The team proceeded to notch two insurance goals at the 10:15 and 7:39 marks in the second half on goals by Kostel and Matt Houser '13 to increase the lead to 4-0. Along with an efficient offense, its defense completely neutralized Nova's attack, helping to secure the championship.