Led by captains Abby and Paige Blasco '11 and Nicole Smith '11, the volleyball team was poised to make a run for the University Athletic Association title last fall. While the team fought admirably, their efforts fell short, and the squad finished seventh in the UAA. Now, with the faces of Brandeis volleyball departed for their post-graduate plans, it's up to a new team to rebound.

Without the Blascos, who led the team in both kills and assists last year, or Smith as middle blocker, that would seem to be a tall order. But coach Michelle Kim is confident in her squad.

"With a fresh start right now, they are searching for a new identity and trying to find that team chemistry. These are a talented group of girls, so once that happens, I have no doubt they'll find success," Kim said.

Yael Einhorn '14 showed great potential in her first season with the Judges and seems poised to step in for Abby Blasco at setter. Einhorn was second on the team in assists last season with 300. Becca Fischer '13 battled injury for much of last season but looks to be a threat at middle blocker this fall. Despite limited participation, Fischer still notched a solid 87 kills with 68 blocks in the 2010 campaign. Finally, Brandeis will return two contributing outside hitters in Si-Si Hensley '14 and Lauren Berens '13. Hensley posted 200 kills with 1.75 per set, while Berens contributed another 124 at 1.24 per set last fall. Berens was also third on the team in blocks with 62. Susan Sun '13 returns as the team's primary defensive specialist.

Additionally, Kim has brought in a large first-year class to help cope with the graduated seniors.

"We have a large incoming class and, right now in preseason, I'm impressed," she said.

"We're looking to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but by the start of the season, I'm looking forward to the new talent we will have on the court," she added.

This season, Brandeis will face many familiar opponents, including the always-challenging UAA teams. After a disappointing 2-8 record within the conference last year, with both wins against last-place University of Rochester, the team is looking to improve its in-conference record.

"The focus is to make the team as a whole better, and if we go into these matches 100 percent, then we have as [good] a chance to win as any team out there," Kim said. The Judges will travel to two UAA round-robin tournaments this season: at Washington University in St. Louis and Rochester during the season.

Overall, Kim said that she is excited about the upcoming season.

"Right now on the court, the energy level is extremely high, we're uniting as a team, and I am very excited to see what this squad can achieve."

The Judges kick off their season at the Western Connecticut State Invitational, squaring off against Johnson and Wales University on Friday at 7 p.m. They also take on Keene State College and Western Connecticut State University in a morning/afternoon doubleheader on Saturday.