The Tony-award winning show A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum premeried on Broadway in 1962. World-famous composer Stephen Sondheim wrote the musical's songs, while Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart wrote the book. The plot was inspired by the farcical works of the Roman playwright Plautus. The lead character, Pseudolus, is a slave who attempts to woo a woman for his master in return for his freedom. JustArts: Why did you choose this show to put on? What is unique/cool about A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum?

Lizzy Benway: As of this semester, the Hillel Theater Group has implemented a new proposal system to select the show season. This proposal system allows club members to submit possible shows without necessarily being attached to the production team. HTG club members then come together to vote on the titles proposed for the semester. This is how Forum was chosen. After being asked if I was interested in directing, I applied and interviewed for the position of director for Forum and was accepted. Forum is unique because it combines a wide variety of comedic talent and characters to produce the ultimate comedy that has "something for everyone."

JA: Have you seen a production of Forum before? How are you making it your own?

LB: I, unfortunately, have not seen Forum before, but as a director I'm glad I haven't. By having never seen Forum, I have a fresh perspective on things, so the image of the show is my own rather than that of another director.

Patrick Mullen: I had never seen the show before joining this production staff. I watched the movie version recently with [actor] Zero Mostel and it was really fun to see, but the film cut out a lot of the musical numbers, which I think are some of the highest points of the show. [Benway] mentioned that she specifically asked the cast not to watch the movie so that it wouldn't affect the way they play their characters, which I think is a great idea. I'm really excited to see David Frederick's '11 interpretation of Mostel's role. I haven't been at as many rehearsals as the rest of our production staff, but what I have seen has been hilarious.

JA:What has been the best part about working on this show?

LB: How do I pick one part? Everything about this show is wonderful: It makes me laugh, the people are wonderful and enthusiastic, and I am always looking forward to our rehearsals! In all seriousness, I think the best part about working on this show is the great deal that I've learned from everyone who is a part of this production, and, whether they know it or not, I'm truly grateful to everyone who has worked on this show.

PM: The best part of working on this show has definitely been working with the cast, crew and designers. It's a great group of people and they've made it a lot of fun. People come up with the strangest games during late night rehearsals and meetings ... We had our Coffeehouse last week and every group that performed had members involved in Forum somehow. A cappella, dancing, improv comedy, everyone is involved in a lot of other things in addition to Forum and it made the Coffeehouse a very energetic night.

JA:What are you most excited for the audience to see/experience at Forum?

LB: The reason I enjoy Forum is because it ultimately makes me laugh. I'm just hoping that the audience will have the same appreciation for its humor and enjoy it just as much as I have.

JA: Have you directed/produced previously? How has that experience helped you to create this show?

LB: I have directed previously, but my experience comes from dramatic plays rather than comedic musicals. I have learned that dramatic pieces are founded in the interactions on stage, the relationships and emotions shared between characters whereas comedic pieces extend beyond the stage, especially in Forum. The interactions between the characters and the audience are just as important as the interactions between characters.

PM: I had never produced before Forum or even worked on any kind of production staff for a show this large. It has been a huge learning experience. My Co-producer Viktoria [Lange '13] has been extremely helpful and we've both been able to lean on each other at times to get things done. But we've also gotten a lot of great advice from some of our theater friends. Herbie Rosen '12, who produced RENT and Lonesome West this semester, has been an amazing help with that.

JA: Where are you right now in the rehearsal process?

LB: Currently we're in a really great place in the rehearsal process. We are in tech week, the final week before the show opens on the 7th of April. The show has really come together and the cast brings more energy each and every day.