Another week, another set of beer reviews. Since I've been back at school, I've had some tremendous opportunities to try some fantastic beers.Founders Nemesis 2009

This beer, made once by the Founders of Grand Rapids, Mich. in 2009, is a high-alcohol wheat-wine aged in oak barrels that were previously used for maple syrup. This was a very rare release when it came out and is nearly impossible to find today. However, Todd and Jason Alstrom, owners of BeerAdvocate, had an extra keg and brought it to their Taco Night at Green Street restaurant in Cambridge.

The beer, poured into an oversized wine glass, came out an orange amber color, almost rosy in hue. The white head was light but remained for a sizeable length of time. The scent was fruity, and coconuts and banana shined through. I also got a little scent of maple in the nose, but not a very noticeable amount.

The taste of the beer was more fruity. It started as coconut but moved to banana as the beer warmed up-I didn't get a lot of hop profile in here. The real disappointment was the maple, which was almost nonexistent. The maple would have provided a lot of depth and balance to the fruitiness. The beer was thick in mouth-texture, and the 12-percent alcohol by volume was hardly noticeable. The beer was paired with a tamarind-marinated pork belly taco with pickled jalapenos and carrots. The sweetness of the pork mixed with the hot spice of the pepper really enhanced the fruity sweetness of the beer. Green Street should be commended for their excellent pairing of beer and food.

Overall it was a decent beer, but for its rarity and hype it missed the mark a bit. I give Founders Nemesis 8.5 out of 10.

Ayinger Celebrator

This is a dopplebock, a German lager known for its darker color and higher alcohol content. To be honest, I've had a few of this variety in the past, and I've never truly enjoyed them. It always seemed that they were overpowering in their malt flavor. This beer, however, changed my view on the type.

The beer poured out a dark brown with a thick, light-brown head that remained for quite some time. Upon smelling, I was treated to roasted malts, coffee and some whiffs of bread. Tasting brought a bitter coffee flavor offset by some sweet chocolate tinges, finishing with a slight, crisp lager finish. The beer was insanely drinkable. At a nice level of thickness, it was really, really well done.

This beer has changed my perception of dopplebocks. It's definitely a worthwhile German import to check out, especially if you like darker beers. I give Ayinger Celebrator 9 out of 10.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

This new yearly release from California's Sierra Nevada is an imperial Indian Pale Ale with several hops, including a few of new proprietary value. This golden red beer poured into a snifter with a full white head. The aroma was amazing; it smelled of sweet pineapples, garden herbs and bitter pines. It was probably one of the best-smelling beers I have ever had.

In tasting, I got some great citrus notes in this one. I also sensed some great fruity vibes from the hops but not the malt. There wasn't a lot of malt in this, instead it was bombed out with hops. The beer warmed, and I had more and more. The cloying bitterness in some ways did get to be too much, so I would say this is not a beer for a beginner or anyone who doesn't like hops. It is bitter, strong and somewhat overpowering. The mouthfeel is also overly filling, making it a chore to drink this beer.

Overall, Hoptimum is a delicious-smelling beer that becomes too much after awhile. I give it 8 out of 10.

Coming next week, I'll have a discussion of vintages (aging beers over several years), while also reviewing the Cambridge Brewing Company Barleywine Festival, so stay tuned for that.