The women's basketball team split its two University Athletic Association contests this weekend, suffering a 56-38 loss at Case Western University last Sunday, following the team's 65-62 victory at Carnegie Mellon University last Friday. The team now has a 9-5 record, including a 1-2 mark in conference play.Against Case, the Judges fell early and trailed throughout the game. Brandeis managed to remain within 4 points of the Spartans for the first 10 minutes of the first half, but quickly ceded control. Case's lead grew to 8 points just before the half, but the Judges closed the margin to 3 points, 22-19, by the end of the half.

Brandeis maintained its momentum to start the second half and seized a 25-24 lead with 16:47 remaining. Yet the Spartans quickly took control and built a double-digit lead. The game quickly grew out of reach, and Brandeis eventually lost by an 18-point margin. The Judges were held to a season-low 38 points, and no one on the team was able to crack double digits in points.

Guards Kelly Ethier '11 and Morgan Kendrew '12 supplied most of the offensive firepower. Ethier had a team-leading 8 points and three assists, and Kendrew notched 7 points and five rebounds. Kendrew struggled all day and shot just 2-16 from the field, including 1-7 from behind the arc. Forward Amber Strodthoff '11 accumulated 6 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.

Last Friday against Carnegie Mellon, the Judges struggled to keep pace with the Tartans in the first half and trailed by 12 with 6:03 left. Carnegie Mellon quickly built a 12-point lead and led by six, 32-26, at the half.

Coach Carol Simon believed the team's difficulties in the first half could have been averted with better ball control.

"[We need to be] valuing the ball better and decreasing our turnovers," she said. "We need to be more disciplined and consistent with our philosophies on the offensive and defensive ends."

However, Brandeis came out strong in the second half and immediately chipped away at the lead. The Judges tied the score at 34-34 in the first 3 minutes of the second half. After a few back-and-forth possessions that brought the score to a 42-42 stalemate, Brandeis took control. After Carnegie Mellon cut the Judges' lead to 50-49 with seven minutes remaining, Brandeis launched a 9-0 run to stretch their lead to 59-49 and put the game out of reach. Carnegie Mellon battled back at the end, but Brandeis held on for a 65-62 win.

Kendrew led all players with 20 points and four assists despite logging only 4 minutes in the first half due to foul trouble. Kendrew also hit 11 of 15 free throws, including six of eight down the stretch. Strodthoff notched a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds while Mia Depalo '11 turned in a solid effort with 13 points, five rebounds and five steals.

Simon was impressed overall with the Judges' play.

"We are a young team but a team that works very hard in practice, working to get better each day," she said. "When we are disciplined, we can be a very good defensive team."

The Judges continue play next weekend with two key UAA matches at home.

The team will host the University of Chicago on Friday, Jan. 21 and play Washington University in St. Louis on Sunday, Jan. 23.