Last Wednesday, guard Tyrone Hughes '12 hit the game-winning layup in overtime to propel the 19th-ranked Judges to a 67-65 win over Clark University. The play occurred with 5.9 seconds left on the clock and with the game on the line. Clark junior forward Jonathan Phillips' second free-throw attempt careened off the rim and landed in the hands of forward Christian Yemga '11. Yemga fed the ball to Hughes, and with the game in his hands, Hughes did not disappoint. He dribbled the length of the court down the right side and hit the game-winning layup at the buzzer.

The 250 people in attendance at the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center were ecstatic, and Hughes' teammates stormed the court as the final buzzer sounded. Describing the moment, Hughes said that it actually came as a surprise to him. "The last play was designed so the ball would land to Vytas [Kriskus] '12 or Derrick [Retos] '14 on the curl," Hughes said. "[Me] keeping the ball was the last option. However, they both weren't open, so I saw my defender, ran down the court, and the play unfolded perfectly from there."

Overall, Hughes had an impressive showing against Clark with 8 points, four rebounds and five assists. On the season, he is fourth on the squad with 7 points per game and holds a team-leading average of 6.4 assists per contest.

The men's team has gotten off to a hot start and is now 8-0 on the season. However, Hughes says that the team still has room to improve.

"We need to keep our composure and stop teams when we have the chance; we must execute our offense."

However, Hughes is extremely upbeat about the team's prospects for the rest of the season.

"[Kriskus] definitely opens up the offense," he said. "We have everything we need to be successful. At this point, it's not about talent but about keeping up our hard work and dedication.