The Brandeis University sailing team excelled in its Nov. 6 competition at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, notching both first- and fifth-place finishes at the Professor Noringer Bowl for its first victory in the regatta in more than three years.The event featured several of the top New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association teams, including Brown University, MIT, Bowdoin College and Middlebury College.

The women's team emerged victorious in the event, with the A and B teams each posting point totals of 17. The A team, with Andrea Verdeja '14 as skipper and Davida Judelson '12 as crew member, won its first race and stayed in the top five for the remaining four matches.

The B team performed equally well, earning two first-place finishes, as well as second- and fourth-place marks. Meghan Breslin '13 was skipper, and Alison White '13 served as crew.

"The win means a lot for Brandeis because it shows how much the team accomplished," team treasurer Joshua Basseches '12 said.

The Brandeis' men's team also had an impressive showing, finishing fifth in a field of 15 teams. The A team, helmed by Jared Dunn '13 with Forrest Hardy '13 as crew, hovered within the top 10 for all five of its races. The team notched a first-place finish in the final match to finish with a score of 32 points.

The B team, with Basseches as skipper and John Fonte '12 as crew, also performed well, amassing a total mark of 28 points.

For the first time this season, both teams cracked the top 10 in their respective events, which Basseches says is "an important stepping stone for the team."

Though the team is not eligible for the postseason, coach Tom Robinson said that this win was still valuable. "For a young team, it was very important to win this regatta," Robinson said. "It is certainly a good beginning for success in the future."

Editor's note: Davida Judelson '12 is a Photographer for the Justice.