While hosting the second University Athletic Association Round-Robin Tournament last weekend, the volleyball team lost all four of its matches. Last Sunday, the team, now 13-11 and 1-5 in UAA play, suffered a 3-1 defeat to Carnegie Mellon University and a 3-0 loss to No. 2 Emory University in the morning match.

In Saturday's action, the Judges once again could not handle their conference opponents, suffering a 3-0 loss to No. 23 New York University and a 3-1 defeat to Case Western Reserve University.

Coach Michelle Kim supported her team after this weekend's tournament, saying the Judges suffered an injury to outside hitter/libero Si-Si Hensley '14 and that it was tougher to win "given the circumstances and adversity associated with playing these tough conference opponents." Kim was proud that the team "stepped up in positions that they don't usually play in and tried incredibly hard."

In the team's match against Carnegie, the Judges lost by scores of 25-18, 25-20, 16-25 and 25-14. In the first set, the Judges played on Carnegie's level, at one point trailing 18-17. From there, Brandeis could not find its groove as the Tartans comfortably cruised to victory. This trend held true throughout most of the second set as the Judges lost 25-20.

In the third set, Brandeis found life and dominated Carnegie, maintaining at least a 5-point lead throughout and ultimately prevailing 25-16. However, that lead soon disappeared as Carnegie Mellon ran away in the fourth set.

Middle blocker Nicole Smith '11 led the team with 13 kills and two blocked shots in the loss. Outside hitter Paige Blasco '11 contributed with 12 kills and 12 digs as well.

In the team's first match Sunday, the Judges faced off against Emory, which swept Brandeis by margins of 25-19, 25-9 and 25-17.

Brandeis fought throughout the first game, but the team's resolve ultimately faded, losing to the Eagles by a score of 25-19.

Throughout the second set, Emory simply dominated the Judges, holding them to single digits at a score of 25-9. In the third set, the Judges showed flashes but could not clinch, losing the set and match.

Outside hitter Paige Blasco '11 totaled nine kills and four assists, while setter Yael Einhorn '14 contributed 20 assists. Outside hitter Lauren Berens '13 also added five kills and three digs to the effort.

Brandeis lost to NYU on Saturday afternoon by scores of 25-20, 25-21 and 25-15. In the first set, the Judges matched NYU point-for-point, clawing to a 13-13 tie. However, they soon lost momentum, and NYU clinched the first set.

In the second set, Kim switched setter Abby Blasco '11 to libero. Brandeis held control for much of the set, maintaining a 21-20 lead before conceding the next 5 points for a loss. After that, Brandeis lost its rhythm and quickly faded in the third set.

Paige Blasco led the team with 15 kills and also had seven digs. Einhorn notched 23 assists, while Abby Blasco had 10 digs.

In their first game of the tournament, the Judges battled Case but lost by margins of 25-18, 25-21, 22-25 and 25-19.

Brandeis lost the first set but posed problems for the Spartans in the second. The Judges rallied at various points in the set but ultimately couldn't clinch. In the third set, a loss seemed inevitable for Brandeis before the Judges managed to turn a 17-15 deficit into a 25-22 victory. However, they could not capitalize on the win, losing the final set.

Paige Blasco totaled 23 kills and eight digs, while Abby Blasco notched a double-double with 34 assists and 11 digs. Defensive setter Susan Sun '13 led the team with 16 digs, while Hensley had six kills and 10 digs.

After the tournament, Coach Kim acknowledged that the Judges, "despite playing in an adjusted lineup due to injures, need to work on controlling the ball and the tempo of the game as well as teamwork." These factors, she acknowledged, are crucial to the Judges' future success.

Brandeis gets a reprieve from conference play this weekend, as they travel to South Hadley, Mass. this Friday and Saturday to participate in the Hall of Fame Invitational.