To all the couples out there, I may have found the perfect place for that once-a-semester restaurant splurge. Though the Cambridge restaurant actually has around 14 tables, Ten Tables is as small and exclusive as you would expect from its name. It's not just that you'll feel like you have the place to yourself-the dim lights and quiet location also help to guarantee a romantic and sophisticated night. It doesn't hurt, either, that the food prepared by chef David Punch and crew is some of the best in its $20-to-$30-per-entrée price range.Located at 5 Craigie Circle in Cambridge, it's about a 15-minute walk away from the hustle and bustle of Harvard Square. That means that you and your date will be uninterrupted by other college students as you pass the calm residential area off of Concord Avenue, It's a little out of the way, but my dining partner and I soon found the trek to be more than worth it.

As we walked down its narrow stairway to the dining area, a display wall proudly shows Ten Tables as winner of Boston Magazine's "Best of Boston 2009, Romantic, Affordable" award, an accolade we both agreed on as we walked back up the stairs two hours later. Ten Tables shows that fine American dining doesn't have to be a snobbish experience, even when it combines a wealth of Italian and French cuisines of which, admittedly, I was not an expert. The waiter-dressed in black formalwear-was patient and knowledgeable, especially when I asked him to explain the elements of our antipasti appetizer. Served with cumin croccantini, which is essentially the "crackers" to the various "dips," highlights of the dish include watermelon cubes drizzled with Saba dressing and a delectable bluefish pate garnished with pine nuts. The antipasti-priced at $13-held its own as a light, diverse meal, and the table bread complimented it well. I highly recommend it.

Ten Tables allows plenty of time for diners to chat between dishes, further emphasizing its romantic appeal. While we waited for our entrées, I noticed that the minimal décor was perfect for the place, since diners come to pay attention to each other, not a dazzling piece of artwork hanging on the walls. However, the tables are placed very closely together, so it's easy to overhear other conversations.

I'm absolutely in love with the entrée I had at Ten Tables. The Berkshire pork chop I ordered was softer and juicier than any I've ever had before, and it paired perfectly with the Wards Farm creamed corn served under it. Although the pork was unbrined, its texture was impressive, reminding me of good raw salmon: mostly creamy and slightly chewy. The dark, roasted skin had hints of salt, pepper and charcoal that balanced the unseasoned meat in the middle. The pickled mushrooms and baby arugula are spicy and slightly tangy, which match the pork and corn well. The kernels of corn felt more like potatoes than regular corn in my mouth, missing that stringy, get-stuck-in-your-teeth aspect that I tend to dislike. The melted spicy chipotle butter on the bottom of the vegetables is wonderful and never intrudes on the corn's own buttery taste. The dish comes in a relatively large portion for the $25 price, too.

My dining partner was kind enough to offer her Haddock for me to taste. It didn't impress me nearly as much as the pork, but I enjoyed having hazelnut with fish for the first time. It's an interesting contrast of textures, and the fruity pomegranate sauce produced an even more notable contrast of flavor. The fish itself was smooth, with hints of fried and lemony aromas. My of-age friend described the 2009 Chenin Blanc as a wonderful pair to the fish, stressing the white wine's spicy fruit-flavored aromas. At $20, I would only recommend it if you were adamant about having Haddock.

Unfortunately, I can't say much about the desserts at Ten Tables. With our bill coming out to $85, including tip, we decided to satisfy our sweet tooth at Sweet Cupcakes, located at 0 Brattle St., instead. With bread, appetizer and entrées Ten Tables should satisfy even the hungriest of college diners.

So if you decide to take the plunge, what else should you know about Ten Tables? Make reservations as early as possible, either by calling the Cambridge location at (617) 576-5444 or by using opentable.com. Dress code is casual, but know that most guests are older and better dressed than the average college student. Most important, enjoy a romantic, memorable evening with delicious food and wonderful service.