Grayce Selig '11 set a school record in the women's 1,500-meter run, leading a storm of Brandeis runners across the finish line at the Eric Loeschner Memorial Invitational at Fitchburg State College this weekend. The women's team finished in third at the meet, while the men grabbed fourth.

Selig's time of 4 minutes, 33.91 seconds defeated Mariko Tansey-Holbrook's '03 record of 4:35.56 set in 2002.

"[It was a] phenomenal run by Selig" Coach John Evans said. "She really had an amazing meet today."

Selig wasn't Brandeis' only top finisher in the 1,500-meter race. Brandeis finished with seven of the top eight runners in the event, and all of the top five.

Finishing in a not-too-distant second was Beth Pisarik '10, whose time of 4:38.32 was good enough to qualify her provisionally for the Division III NCAA Championships that will be held at the end of May.

"[Pisarik] ran a great race as well. It was really just a phenomenal job by both [Selig and Pisarik]," Evans said. "On the last lap, Selig and Pisarik had broken away and were just booking it. . They were strong all the way through," Lucia Capano '12 said.

Selig, Pisarik, and the rest of the team's times were made even more impressive by the cold and wet weather, both of which are difficult conditions for runners.

"The conditions were cold and windy, but we got the times which was great. . For the most part, everyone had really good days," Evans said.

Following Pisarik across the finish line were Erin Bisceglia '12, Alyssa Pisarik '12 and Marie Lemay '11, who respectively finished third, fourth and fifth, with times of 4:45.19, 4:53.26 and 4:54.01.

Only a sixth-place finish by Worcester Polytechnic Institue freshman Vicky Hewey prevented Brandeis from grabbing the first seven places. Hannah Lindholm '11 and Kate Warwick '12 finished in seventh and eighth place, respectively.

The men's results in the 1,500-meter event were nearly as impressive as the women's. Brandeis placed five runners in the top eleven spots, including three of the top five.

Leading the pack was Devon Holgate '11, who finished first with a time of 4:00.89.

Marc Boutin '12 was less than a second off of Holgate's pace, grabbing third with at time of 4:01.74.

It was really close at the end with [Holgate] and [Boutin]," Capano said. "It came right down to the wire and Holgate just did a great job of holding off the Fitchburg State runner."

Behind Holgate and Boutin was Chris Brown '12, who finished fifth with a time of 4:02.58.

"Those three guys up front ran really good races," Evans said.

Also competing for the Judges were Sam Donovan '11, Jake Newfield '13 and Raymond Chen '10, who finished seventh, eleventh and twenty-first, respectively.

Several other Brandeis runners won their events. In women's field, Capano finished first in the triple jump with a distance of 10.94 meters.

Capano also finished second in the long jump with a distance of 4.92 meters.

Evans commented on Capano's consistency over the course of the year.

"Capano has been great all year. She's consistently been at the front of the field and she showed it again this weekend," Evans said.

Suzanne Bernier '10 also secured a first-place finish for the Judges, winning the high jump with a height of 1.59 meters Parenteau finished third in the event.

The final first-place finish for the women was in the 4x100 meter relay race. The group of Brittany Bell '13, Capano, Farrington and Michelle Gellman '11 won the meet with a time of 51.02.

"It's a young group, but they're doing well and should be competitive at UAAs next week," Evans said.

Capano also commented on the team's need for improvement.

"Our time two weeks ago was better, and we need to work on handoffs, but we have made great progress and should be very competitive next weekend," Capano added.

Also grabbing a first-place finish for the Judges was Mingkai Lin '12, who won the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.54 seconds.

"He's only been running hurdles for a few weeks and hasn't run many races, but he has looked pretty goood so far," Evans said.

Kayley Wolf '12 took second in the women's 100-meter hurdles with a time of 17.46 seconds. Desiree Murphy '10 finished second in the women's discus with a distance of 32.11 meters.

In men's field, Charlie Pino '12 placed third in the long jump with a distance of 5.71 meters.

The men's short distance runners also placed several competitors in the top 10. Mik Kern '13 finished third in the 800-meter race, while Will Collins '10 placed seventh in the event.

In the men's 400, Aaron Udel '10 finished sixth, and Josh Hoffman-Senn '13 finished seventh.

The team's next meet will be this weekend, where it will compete in the University Athletic Association Championships at Washington University in St. Louis.