The men's and women's indoor track and field teams traveled to Tufts University to compete in the Tufts Stampede Invitational Saturday, a meet geared for individual rather than team competiton.The most impressive results for both squads came in the 1-mile race. The women placed first and second, with captain Beth Pisarik '10 leading the field with a time of 5 minutes, 4.96 seconds. Hannah Lindholm '11 finished 11 seconds behind her for second.

For the men, Chris Brown '12 finished second by 1/100th of a second.

"For the last 150 meters Brown and [Tufts senior Jesse Faller] were neck and neck, and it was a very, very close finish," Anifreed Sinjour '13 said. "You couldn't tell who won with the naked eye, and it is disappointing that he lost, but it was a very intense finish."

His time of 4:17.20 was still a personal best. Dan Anastos '11 finished 10 seconds behind Faller and Brown, grabbing third.

Both the men and women also succeeded in the 3,000-meter run. For the women, Alyssa Pisarik '12 finished more than seven seconds ahead of the next-best racer, easily grabbing first with a time of 10:23.46.

Sinjour believed that Pisarik ran well at Tufts.

"Alyssa looked really strong," Sinjour said. She was sprinting her last few laps and made it look effortless."

The men's squad placed two runners in the top 10, paced by a third place finish from Marc Boutin '12 with a time of 8:52.14. Kerwin Vega '11 finished tenth with a time of 9:02.76,

Devon Holgate '11 won the 1,000-meter race with at time of 2:33.56,

Coach John Evans was pleased with Holgate's performance.

"Devon ran a really good race," he said. "He looked really strong and he is read to go for the next couple of weeks in the 1-mile."

Classmate Ben Bray '11 finished third with a time of 2:34.71, while Mik Kern '13 finished 10th.

The results in the long distance events were especially impressive given that many of the distance runners had the weekend off following two meets during the previous week.

"A lot of people had run three days the previous weeks, so a lot of the distance runners were given the meet off," explained captain Lucia Capano '11.

In the sprint events, the women led the way with first place finishes in the 400- and 600-meter races. In the 400-meter race, the Judges were paced by Sinjour, whon won the event with a time of 1:00.41.

"Anna had a great race," said Capano. "She held perfect pace, came around the corner first, and really pushed through to the end."

In the 600-meter run, Julia Alpaio '10 won the race with a time of 1:38.95, and was followed immediately by Emily Owen '11, who finished second and less than half a second behind Alpaio.

"They're both usually 800-meter runners but [Coach Evans] had them run the [600-meter race] because it's a really good sprinting workout, and they both ran excellently," Capano noted.

Anne Gregory '13 gave Brandeis three runners in the top 10, finishing 10th with a time of 1:46.58.

Perhaps the most impressive individual performance on the day came from Capano, who easily finished first in both the long jump and the triple jump and also finished fifth in the qualifying leg for the 55-meter dash.

Also grabbing first place in an event for the women was Suzanne Bernier '10, who won the high jump with a height of 1.60 meters.

The men's sprinters were headlined by Brian Foley '13, who finished third in the 200-meter event by with a time of 23.37.

A surprising finish on the men's side was by the 4x400 relay team, which finished in second. The group of Stanley Xuelin '12, Charlie Pino '12, Lin and Foley finished in 3:31.35.

Sinjour thought that the team ran exceptionally in the meet.

"The 4x400 team looked really good. All of them ran pretty well and it was a very solid performance. It was definitely one of their best competitions in a while," noted Sinjour.

Despite having both squads record high finishes in the meet Saturday, Evans still wants his runners to record faster times in their races.

"[We need to] continue the way we are running. We just want to run faster and run some faster times. It couldn't have gone much better right now, but we are looking for people to run faster times for the next couple of weeks and peak a little bit.

The men's and women's squads will next compete at the Valentine's Day Classic at Boston University next weekend.