On its Web site, the restaurant Ghazal explains that "Ghazal may be understood as both the pain and loss of separation and the beauty of love in spite of that pain, but traditionally deals with one subject: love, and, in our case, our love of our cuisine." I have to admit, that little bit of linguistic flourish is no empty advertising. Ghazal promises unique and flavorful food made with plenty of careful consideration, and they definitely deliver. Ghazal is located in Jamaica Plain, a trendy neighborhood near downtown Boston. It's a part of a long strip of chic restaurants along Centre Street, where the options for cuisine-be it classic American, Asian fusion or entirely vegan-are endless. Still, your best bet for an awesome evening is, without a doubt, going for Indian food at Ghazal. Make sure you're looking for number 711, or you might just miss it-the restaurant, like so many quaint New England establishments, is narrow, deep and relatively plain on the outside. The inside, however, is very elegantly decorated with exotic wood-panelled walls, pleasantly low lighting and polished hardwood floors. If you decide to spend your Valentine's Day evening here, count on getting a cozy table for two with a little candlelight to go along with it. Ghazal's menu is extensive, though it includes all of the favorite Indian standbys. As a vegetarian, I was quite impressed by the offering of nonmeat selections, from appetizers and soups to entrées. For those who enjoy their meat, the menu is divided into subsections based on the type-chicken, lamb, beef-and is very easy to navigate.

For starters, my dining parter (that is to say, my dad visiting from Dallas) ordered the cheese pakora and vegetable samosas. The cheese pakora is delicious and absolutely not to be missed. It consists of delicately fried fritters of spiced homemade cheese, with a thin layer of garlicky potato nestled in the center. If you're interested in a bit of kick or hint of fruit, try drizzling on one of the three sauces placed on the table; I recommend the sweet plum chutney. The vegetable samosas come two to an order and are similar to the fare at other Indian restaurants, with flaky pastry, fragrantly spiced peas and potatoes.

Always an Indian staple, a number of varieties of naan bread are available at Ghazal, though we chose plain and did not regret it. A single order comes with one round of naan sliced in two, so if you're enjoying a large group, consider multiple orders. The naan itself was crisp along the edges and warm and chewy on the inside, with a pleasantly light flavor.

Though the selection is wide and tempting, I chose the malai kofta for my entree. It consists of tender dumplings of cheese and mixed vegetables in a curry sauce, mild, medium or hot as per your taste. I ordered mine mild, and it was pleasantly flavorful without much bite; therefore, expect to have your tastes met precisely. The dumplings arrive quite submerged in sauce, which is the perfect consistency to drizzle over any leftover rice and enjoy in its own right. While the dumplings are quite hearty, they're tender enough to enjoy in a couple of easy bites and are savory and complex in taste, with hints of garlic and basil. On a cold night, malai kofta- a sort of exotic, vegetarian chicken 'n' dumplings-might be just the ticket.

An established omnivore, my dad ordered the chicken biryani. At Ghazal, there is enough to go around, so don't order counting on particularly small portions. The biryani is fragrant and full of complementary vegetables, a mixture of sauteed bell peppers, peas and onions. It comes accompanied by a side of raita, a cool Indian cucumber and yogurt sauce with a hint of mint to cool down the spicier variations of the dish.

A number of awesome-sounding desserts are available, from pastry balls in a honey sauce to exotic Indian ice cream, but I chose the rice pudding and enjoyed it immensely. After a spicy meal, the soft rice in sweetened milk with raisins and sliced cashews is just the thing to cool down the palette.

Ghazal is a great experience, from the atmosphere to the awesome service to the excellent food and reasonable prices. Whether you're entertaining out-of-towners, enjoying a night on the town or going out for your Valentine's celebration, it's the perfect answer to the omnipresent question "What's good around here?" It's a bit of a hike to Jamaica Plain, but Ghazal is well worth the trip.