Dean of Student Life Rick Sawyer and Associate Dean of Student Life Maggie Balch answered questions from senators and other students. Balch said that housing the midyear students together is going to be a challenge next year because no dorm is being renovated. Sawyer said that his department made budget cuts in terms of programs and services. Balch added that there would be cuts in orientation leader training because the University could not afford to keep a large number of orientation leaders on campus before the beginning of the semester. Sawyer said that his department would not provide the student planner for next year. In response to a question regarding a proposed extensive summer session, Sawyer said that there would likely be about 735 beds in air-conditioned rooms on campus available for students. After lengthy debate, the Senate passed an emergency money resolution of $1,500 toward a Senior Winter Gala on Feb. 7, which will be organized by Aaron Mitchell Finegold '09 to benefit Hopefound, an organization that supports the homeless. Some senators were concerned that too much money was going to be spent on alcohol and that students under 21 would not be able to attend. Some argued that the Senate could afford to reduce costs by cutting the number of giveaways at the Midnight Buffet. Senators said that instead of planning events itself, the Senate should provide funding to students so that they can organize the events. After the meeting, Finegold received word from the administration that students under 21 will be able to attend and that those over 21 who wish to drink alcohol will need to wear wristbands.

The Senate chartered the Swimming Club, which aims to provide transportation to a local YMCA while Linsey pool is closed.

Director of Union Affairs Jessica Blumberg '09 reported that the proposed bike rental program will likely run through the Shapiro Campus Center rather than the library because of budget issues.

Union President Jason Gray '10 swore in former North Quad Senator Andrew Hogan '11 as Union Director of Campus Advocacy.

The Senate passed the Student Union Government Operations Budget of $28,000.