Cholmondeley's, a student-run business, is in the process of being renovated as a result of successful staff endeavors to acquire funding of an estimated $10,000 from the University, according to Chum's General Manager Nirja Parekh '09.According to Parekh, Chum's has not been documented for renovation in the last 10 years. "This is the first major renovation," she said. "What [Chum's] generates as profit goes back to grocery money and towards funding events like dances. We only get payment from the University for student workers, [so] we were getting worried that we wouldn't be able to afford a lot of renovations that were necessary," Parekh said.

"Chum's has been run-down and needed a new facelift," Student Activities Advisor Sarah Richardson said. The Chum's staff thought that by repainting it and refurbishing the floor, it would be a cleaner and nicer place for students to hang out, she added.

Parekh said that the staff shut Chum's down last January to paint the interior themselves in order to cut costs. The staff "realized that if a professional had done [the painting], it would have looked a lot cleaner," she said.

"Last April we applied [to the Student Union] for student rollover funds but the money went toward the weight room," said Parekh. She added that Chum's did not want to ask students for contributions towards renovation directly.

Parekh worked with Richardson on a budget proposal for the renovation and spoke to Student Union President Jason Gray '10 about the proposal. Parekh was then referred to Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Jean Eddy.

"Jean Eddy was really receptive, [and] it was a really nice meeting [in which] we talked about why we wanted to do the renovation [and that] if we don't get stuff updated, Chum's could not cater to student needs," Parekh said.

Eddy was not available for comment.

"[The contractors] painted the interior of Chum's and the entrance-way, and the current floor is [going to be] taken out, and new floor tiles [will be] laid," Richardson said. She said that this part of the renovation will begin Feb. 2. and estimated that renovations will be completed by Feb. 9.

Although Chum's is not currently open for business, Richardson said that no pre-scheduled events have been canceled as a result of renovation. Parekh added, "Luckily the contractors have been really flexible around our schedule." Richardson stated that the upcoming Punk, Rock n' Roll Club event at Chum's will still take place Jan. 24.

Chum's Event Manager Alissa Cherry '10 said that events will resume by Feb. 9, the tentative date for the opening of Chum's. She added that a coffeehouse lottery will take place Feb. 2 at which club leaders will be randomly assigned dates for their respective club events.

Director of Student Activities Stephanie Grimes said, "I am pleased that other members of the administration felt that doing this renovation was a higher priority than some other things. I think that [the administration has] to prioritize, and I am very, very happy that as an institution we are putting some money into Chum's to serve the students."

"I think just because I've been working with [Eddy] before budget cuts happened, I think that's why we managed to get the money for Chum's. Honestly it was luck and timing," Parekh said.

Editor's Note: Nirja Parekh is a Justice staff writer.